VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After countless hours of work to put the engine and interior back, I am now faced with a trans issue. I have replaced the transmission printed circuit cable and fluid after having a SHI_ LOAD of solenoid codes. I read that the cable is a known culprit. But to no help !
SO now here I am back again needing some help.
Do I have to have the trans reprogramed ?! I don't know much about VWs ...Toyota , Honda Lexus YEA but VW no!

Whats my next step. When I was at the junkyard I took a whole set of solenoids from another 01M trans off a similar Beetle, but something tels me that it may be something else. (Engine works great thou after the rebuild)

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Hey, please post any and all trouble codes; the valve bodies seem to need to be rebuilt on those transmissions, why not get the valve body rebuilt or buy the rebuilt kit, from one of the trans repair parts companies? Are you a experienced trans tech or do you usually just replace failed transmissions with a good one?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest I've only replaced transmissions, the dealers don't rebuild anything anymore for liability reasons.
Having said that, I am able to take out the valve body and play with it if need be ! But do you really think that it's the valve body that needs to be rebuilt? there are no other issues know to cause this?
By the way I don't have a VAG-COM but my laptop can read most of the codes so I'll get back to you with those codes

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, anecdotal evidence; seems to suggest... unless there is some internal damage of hard part(s_ or clutches etc.; that the valve body, is the primary issue with the VW transmissions, diagnosing the specific issues... would require a vw scanner and factory transmission specific manuals from VW or from the aftermarket transmission companies, that sell them.
Have you identified; the transmission (01M?) and the trans code?

You need a scanner that is VW compatible; at the most BASIC something like the Vgate VS450 and preferably the high end, Ross Tech VCDS, to do output tests and really be able to troubleshoot things, at a factory tool level, like the VW dealerships have. VCDS, is basically; from what I understand a VW factory scan tool 1552 clone, that comes with software and a obdII cable that connects and runs on a windows based pc...

I guess it comes down to:
1. throw parts at the transmission
a. determine cost of diagnostic tools to correctly diagnose vs. buying a rebuilt valve body or having your original one rebuilt
b. rebuilt valve body; doesn't fix the problem and your back to square one

2. diagnose the system and transmission intelligently and (hopefully) correctly
a. get a factory VW transmission service manual or buy a aftermarket rebuilding service manual
b. get a basic scan tool like the vgate vs450 or get the real deal Ross Tech VCDS
c. test and troubleshoot, the problem to pin point the isses and make repair steps, based on that information and hard cold facts, from your testing process.

3. "do it yourself"
a. buy the the tools/manuals you need: to be able to do the repairs intelligently
b. repair the valve body yourself; with a repair kit from aftermarket companies (e.g. sonnax kit etc.)
c. best case scenario; you repair the valve body yourself and save yourself some money and fix it!
d. attempt the repair but takes allot of time to figure everything out: classic case of you have more "time then money" and you save money, do it all yourself and come out the winner! You become a 01M expert! :D
e. you learn allot and come out golden, experience gives you the power to fix more 01M's and you fix tons of broken down VW's in your area with the same failure prone 01M's, maybe make some money at it! Whooohoo! :cool:

01M service manuals; free downloads and purchasing the repair manuals from trans repair companies

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...v=2&ie=UTF-8#q=01M transmission repair manaul

01M valve body repair kits; common failure point repair kits, fixes most common issues (Sonnax, seems to be a good company and it s recommended repair kit/service program to go with):

The Sure Cure® Kit - SC-01M/01N/01P - Sonnax

01M parts and exploded views:

VW 095, 096, 01M, 098, AG4 Transmission Parts Volkswagon / Audi

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/mm5/graphics/Catalog-pdf/VW-095.pdf

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=01M+repair+kits

vendors with info about repairs and common failure points and troubleshooting info:

(@ $360; the valve body rebuild kit; seems like a affordable and viable option, this guy seems to have really nailed down what it takes to fix these pesky transmission, I recommend you contact him and see what he advises to do, based upon how you trans is acting. I cannot recommend him; as I have not had any experience with him but the website really impresses me with all his knowledge and the amount of these he repairs.).

Kansas City Tdi & CoolAirVw Repair

01M or 01P Valve Body Repair $360 Labor + solenoids | Kansas City TDI

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to clear the codes with my generic OBD2 and the car started to shift through the gears. NOT SMOOTH but if shifts. No check engine lights so that's good. From 1-2nd is ok 2-3 kinda kicks and 3-4 is ok-ish. Car was running at 50-60+ around here in 4th now... so were back on the road(SORTA)
just have to figure out this hard shifting.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Valvoline fully synthetic ...it says its for vw :confused:
You really think its as simple as the wrong brand of fluid ?! because I'm not going to lie ...That would be awesome!!!

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Hope that's it. It may not be... but it will cost you over $50 to find out. The correct stuff is expensive. Do a new filter, too. Did you follow the proper procedure to fill the trans at the correct temperature?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well..then I guess I have to get the correct stuff then ! Any particular one in mind ?

As far as filling it up yes I did fill it up with 2 quarts and warmed it up,shifted thru the gears, took out the drain plug and filled it (through the top fill hole) some more until it came out in a thin stream from the bottom.

By the way.... how important are those metal sleeves on the trans pan gasket. I have them on there but I'm thinking of removing them if I have to take down the pan again. I have to re-tap one of the bolt holes.

Check engine light never came back on !?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took it for a test drive today. Got on the frwy and it did pretty good. Cruising at 80 mph was good for about 10 min, then when I pulled off to turn back, the abs and trac came on and the trans went back into limp mode ! I would not shift past maybe 2nd.
I had my OBD connected and found codes P0753 and P0758. Was able to reset it and you could feel it engage then disengage back into limp mode every time I'd reset the system. (No I have not changed the fluid to Pentosin yet)
OH one more thing ...there was a p1780 once but just once !

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
P0758 Volkswagen

P0758 Volkswagen - Shift Solenoid 'B' Electrical

PDF Share Code
0 P0758 Volkswagen Comments | Add Comment
Possible causes
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Faulty shift solenoid 'B' valve
- Shift solenoid 'B' valve harness or connectors
- Shift solenoid 'B' valve circuit is open or shorted
Help with Possible causes What does this mean?
When is the code detected?
The P0758 code is detected when the gear required by the ECM does not match the actual gear when vehicle is driven.
Possible symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Transmission will not shift gears
P0758 Volkswagen Description
Shift solenoid valve 'B' is turned ON or OFF by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in response to signals sent from the park/neutral position (PNP) switch, vehicle speed and Engine Control Module (ECM) (throttle opening). Gears will then be shifted to the optimum position.

Need more help?
Do you need more help with the P0758 Volkswagen code? ask a question to our users or search the top hand picked automotive forums for more information

Read more: P0758 Volkswagen Shift Solenoid 'B' Electrical OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

P0753 Volkswagen

P0753 Volkswagen - Shift Solenoid 'A' Electrical

PDF Share Code

0 P0753 Volkswagen Comments | Add Comment
Possible causes
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Faulty shift solenoid 'A' valve
- Shift solenoid 'A' valve harness or connectors
- Shift solenoid 'A' valve circuit is open or shorted
Help with Possible causes What does this mean?
When is the code detected?
The P0753 code is detected when the gear required by the ECM does not match the actual gear when vehicle is driven.
Possible symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Transmission will not shift gears
P0753 Volkswagen Description
Shift solenoid valve A is turned ON or OFF by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in response to signals sent from the park/neutral position (PNP) switch, vehicle speed and Engine Control Module (ECM) (throttle opening). Gears will then be shifted to the optimum position.

Read more: P0753 Volkswagen Shift Solenoid 'A' Electrical OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

overall links about P01780:

https://www.google.com/search?q=p17...=chrome&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8#q=p1780+volkswagen

HERE is an interesting thread: LINKING the maf and rough trans shifts! quote: "A bad MAF will cause a p1780 and extremely rough shifts."

VWVortex.com - P1780 Code?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From that information the 3 things that these code have in common is the TCM , Neutral safety switch, and the ECM. Interesting !?

By any chance do you have a map of the solenoids ( Which is A, B etc.)

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Another thing; that comes up with all the above issues, is a very basic one "low transmission fluid level"; how is yours?

Excellent solenoid troubleshooting and location info; check out the links at the end of the thread on tdiclub.ccom

VWVortex.com - 01m solenoid location

Here is a interesting video; showing a solenoid troubleshooting testing... might be a good thing to watch...

Maybe install a valve body repair kit; like he does and see if that fixes your problems?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw93ueI1frE

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update on this ongoing issue.
I was recently at the junk yard when lo-behold there is a 2000 Beetle that was t-boned ( So I know this guy was driving around . I looked under and the trany hasn't been touched. I took out the Valve body and inspected the fluid (It was perfect and no shavings in the pan at all !!)
Installed it in my car, added the fluid back in and took off for a test drive. Trans shifts thru all the gears,2-3 is still a little ruff but shifting .
S.O.B..after a few miles with the trans hotter from driving around it goes into limp mode. P0753 and 758 again !!! What the H-E double hockey sticks !!! this valve body can't have the same issue as mine, that's an astronomical odds.
So Now what VW folks. Could it be the TCM, because I grabbed that just in case ( But its from a 2.0 not a 1.8T so I don't know if that will work) :confused:

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
The odds; of the new transmission, having the same problem.. as all the others that people talk about on this site; is a possibility? Maybe? Seeing how the failure rate is so high; its possible!?

Why not install a shift kit; that is supposed to fix the common issues with the valve body? Its not that expensive; worth a try! Installing more worn out transmissions; maybe a exercise in futility, try addressing the worn valve body issue? Just a thought! :confused:

Look at 25:20 in the video: he clears the codes and does a test drive and he can see how the valves are working... VCDS or a Autel scanner like he has, would really seem to be helpful in diagnosing the issue...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw93ueI1frE

TRANSGO PART: SK VW-O1M CLASSIFICATION: SHIFT KIT
FITS: 95-04 Volkswagen 01M
FEATURES: Corrects/Prevents/Reduces: Rough Lockup, Kills engine, Lock Up slip or shudder. Slide bump 1-2, Rough 1-2, long or soft 1-2, 2-3 cutloose, runaway reverse pressure. Alum threaded end plug replaces plastic plug that breaks. Upgraded 10-11 with New Pressure Regulator Valve which restores PR Function even with worn bore. No boring/reaming tools required!
Special Instructions: Professional installation ONLY. Does not require transmission removal for proper installation.

TransGo O1M, O1P: SK VW-O1M

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=transgo shift kit 01m

1 - 20 of 25 Posts