NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Crazy artistic bug lover
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had my SweetPea for six months. Her previous owner took very good care of her and we have all the records. I just have a few questions about her transmission. She is an automatic and I think 2.0 engine. She isn't a turbo. About a month or two ago her transmission slipped when shifting into 3rd(?) gear. It has only happened once. And sometimes she shifts a little hard. It also can take a little bit for her to shift and her RPM's go up. But I haven't seen it go up past 4. So is this normal for a 2000 automatic transmission? How could I tell if she would need a new transmission or anything else? Do bugs of this year have transmission problems? I'm probably worried over nothing, I come from a long line of worry warts. I just want my baby to be okay. I'm also probably freaked because I dented my skid plate a tiny bit today. I pulled to close to the curb while trying to straighten myself out. I failed. But she is okay, just a tiny dent and some scratched paint.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello! :)

My experience with my NB began much like yours. I had only owned mine for a couple of months when I noticed the trans slipping here and there. In no time at all I found myself having to rev the engine just to get it into gear. Once the car was warm, the shifting would be easier, but I knew there was some sort of growing problem. It quickly got worse. Just two weeks ago I took my car in and found out that my transmission was in very bad shape. My transmission ended up needing a complete rebuild, which cost $2500.
Keep in mind, I know next to nothing about cars, but if you are experiencing even a little bit of slipping or hard shifting, I would recommend taking SweetPea (cute!) to a shop very soon for a check-up. Don't let it get worse. I hope you don't end up having the same expensive problem that I did.

·
Crazy artistic bug lover
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello! :)

My experience with my NB began much like yours. I had only owned mine for a couple of months when I noticed the trans slipping here and there. In no time at all I found myself having to rev the engine just to get it into gear. Once the car was warm, the shifting would be easier, but I knew there was some sort of growing problem. It quickly got worse. Just two weeks ago I took my car in and found out that my transmission was in very bad shape. My transmission ended up needing a complete rebuild, which cost $2500.
Keep in mind, I know next to nothing about cars, but if you are experiencing even a little bit of slipping or hard shifting, I would recommend taking SweetPea (cute!) to a shop very soon for a check-up. Don't let it get worse. I hope you don't end up having the same expensive problem that I did.

Thank you and I'm sorry about your tans. My dad took a look at my car and he drove her around for a little bit. Also my neighbor(who is a mechanic) took a look at her and said she was fine. My dad said that my trans seems to be shifting properly for an 11 yr old car. Haha I'm just too paranoid and used to my moms car( a 2011 pilot) and when that thing shifts you don't even feel it.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Auto trans problems are very common. Have you ever had the trans fluid changed? If not, I'd do it. Hard shifting, late shifting, slipping...all are not "normal".

Read around here in the trans forum. Most posts are about the auto transmissions.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would personally do 2 things, first reset the shift points on it, this is easy enough done but i always forget which of the following procedures it is so do both.

with key out of ignition press gas pedal to floor
put key in turn to on position
wait 10 seconds
turn key off and take out
release gas pedal

or

put key in ignition and turn to on position
press gas pedal to floor
wait 10 seconds
release gas pedal
turn off and remove key from ignition

like i said i always forget which it is of those two but that will reset factory shift points and help out with the high rpm shifting.

the other thing i would do even though vw says not to is do a transmission fluid and filter change. only a little more involved than an oil change to be honest and it probably needs it.

good luck

·
irregular member
64 Posts
Thank you and I'm sorry about your tans. My dad took a look at my car and he drove her around for a little bit. Also my neighbor(who is a mechanic) took a look at her and said she was fine. My dad said that my trans seems to be shifting properly for an 11 yr old car. Haha I'm just too paranoid and used to my moms car( a 2011 pilot) and when that thing shifts you don't even feel it.
Its not normal for any automatic transmission to do that. I have a 15 year old Mazda 626 with 200k miles on its original engine and transmission and I usually don`t feel it shift ever. And I`ve driven and ridden in many cars and trucks that are 25yrs old or older that shift with little or no feeling at all. I would look into a trans fluid change soon, or possiblly a rebuild if its too late. As a general rule, transmission fluid should be changed every 24k-60k miles depending on driving conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts