VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon,

I have a 2005 2.0L petrol convertible and I think I am having issues with the gears.

The Automatic gearbox has 6 forward gears and reverse.

When the engine is cold the gearbox is very smooth when it changes up and down through the gears. I'm not driving it hard at all.

Once the engine has warmed up, first and second gears don't seem to drop in as smoothly and seem a bit 'jumpy'. They're not clunking in, or making any noise, but there is a slight hesitation of sorts, almost as if those two gears are 'sticky'?

Any ideas most welcome on the gearbox issue.

I also have an issue with the rear windows which won't drop down when I activate the power hood. There is a sort of grinding noise when i press the electric window button but no movement in the window, so it seems like the cable has snapped or become detached. I've seen a couple of videos about changing the rear window regulator cable. Is this something a reasonably practical person (me) could do themselves, and is it critical to have VW tools or can I do the work with a socket set and some plastic tools for prising the various panels off?

Many thanks for your time

Charlie

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have a 2005 2.0L petrol convertible and I think I am having issues with the gears.

The Automatic gearbox has 6 forward gears and reverse.

When the engine is cold the gearbox is very smooth when it changes up and down through the gears. I'm not driving it hard at all.

Once the engine has warmed up, first and second gears don't seem to drop in as smoothly and seem a bit 'jumpy'. They're not clunking in, or making any noise, but there is a slight hesitation of sorts, almost as if those two gears are 'sticky'?

Any ideas most welcome on the gearbox issue.
It could be a number of things, but these six speed "tiptronic" automatic transmissions are notorious for wearing out their valve bodies prematurely. There are lots of threads on this issue on this site.

I also have an issue with the rear windows which won't drop down when I activate the power hood. There is a sort of grinding noise when i press the electric window button but no movement in the window, so it seems like the cable has snapped or become detached. I've seen a couple of videos about changing the rear window regulator cable. Is this something a reasonably practical person (me) could do themselves, and is it critical to have VW tools or can I do the work with a socket set and some plastic tools for prising the various panels off?
The window regulators in these cars are prone to breaking. On our 2005 NBC, I've already done the front two windows. I bought the VW window regulator repair kits from a local VW dealership's parts department. They told me they don't accept returns on them (apparently many people aren't successful with the repair). I can't remember the exact cost, but it wasn't at all cheap for these parts. One critical tip: do not remove the "pin" with the pull-ring on it that is in the center plastic assembly until AFTER the cables are securely on all of the pulleys.

Following the information I found in my Bentley repair manual and online in these forums, I was able to successfully repair both front window regulators.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I agree that the transmission valve bodies can become an issue with this transmission. You did not state how many miles are on the car or if the transmission fluid and filter had ever been changed. I would consider doing that first.

Yes, window regulators on an NBC can be troublesome. I suggest that you will probably need the special socket tool to properly install the rear window after you replace the regulator. Plus it takes a lot of patience to get the rear interior panel off so you can access the regulator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts