My 2003 1.8T ("Color Concept") New Beetle's spoiler is starting to degrade; the parts that slide against each other to pop it up have been corroding and it looks like in some places the corrosion has destroyed what looks like a plastic-y outer layer.
The specific reasons I say it's degraded are that
- There are clear 'clunk' sounds in the middle of deployment/retraction, like it's grating over the rough spots, which are obvious jags in the formerly level line. I've had this car for 5 years and know what "normal" sounded like for 4.5 of them.
- When retracted, the left side no longer sits flush but is popped loose more than the right
I did apply white lithium grease a few months ago - which solved the problem of it getting jammed and not being able to deploy, but which doesn't do much for the current problem.
- How expensive is it to have my garage replace the assembly?
- How expensive are parts if I try to do it myself?
- How hard is it if I try to do it myself?
- Are there other temporary remediations I should consider?
Any help appreciated!