NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
vdUbing
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend just got a 1999 bug with a bad auto Trans. The cost to replace it is crazy and with a strong chance the replacement transmission will suffer the same problem. So we want to do a swap into a manual transmission. But..... I have notice people talking about a LOT of parts needing changed out. Everytime I have searched for used parts on a Vw the salvage yards never have anything. So to help me make the hunt for parts and the swap easier I have hopes that someone can help me compile a list of everything needed to do this swap. And of course any advice. Thanks ahead of time!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Trans, ECU, clutch pedal, shifter, starter...probably axles. I know on our TDI there was a power steering line that was different that we needed. That's a start.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Junkyard auto trans for $700

or

Junkyard manual trans $500 + all kinds of swap parts = > $700.

Not sure what the dilemma is?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Said auto is also not guaranteed to work and will also fail, as do nearly all the o1M autos. Its a much cheaper option long term to do a 5 speed swap. We did it in our TDI Jetta and am super happy with it.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Carpart.com enter vehicle info and sort by distance. Shows inventory of every junkyard in the country. :)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Said auto is also not guaranteed to work and will also fail, as do nearly all the o1M autos. Its a much cheaper option long term to do a 5 speed swap. We did it in our TDI Jetta and am super happy with it.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Its a Beetle, fix it once and sell it? Why dump so much money into a econobox that likely isnt worth $5k

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Do you even own one? Some people like their cars enough to do that. And good luck selling a car with a busted trans for any sort of value. We picked up our TDI with a completely dead auto for $2k and the TDIs hold their value (engine was in perfect shape with low miles). It was worth every penny to do the swap. I would do it with any car, but I also wouldn't buy an auto to start with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Its a Beetle, fix it once and sell it? Why dump so much money into a econobox that likely isnt worth $5k
Do you even own one? Some people like their cars enough to do that. And good luck selling a car with a busted trans for any sort of value. We picked up our TDI with a completely dead auto for $2k and the TDIs hold their value (engine was in perfect shape with low miles). It was worth every penny to do the swap. I would do it with any car, but I also wouldn't buy an auto to start with.
Im just trying to help people not make stupid decisions. Noone likes a 13 year old beetle, they just tolerate it. When you put probably half the cost of the car back into the car its a losing scenario...... Why else would i be in this forum? Its not for the intelligent conversation.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
:rolleyes: That's your opinion that no one likes that old of a car. I loved my '99. The only reason I don't have her anymore is that she was totaled last year. I also love my 28 year old Jetta that we sunk several thousand into for a full rebuild. People love these cars and want to keep them around for years to come. You seem to have a negative opinion of these cars so I really do wonder why you're here.

·
Registered
758 Posts
A "car person" will often put money into a car that's "not worth it" to anyone but themselves.

I'm also a member of the Crown Victoria online forums because I also own a 1991 Ford Crown Victoria LX (the newest year for the Box style body). Mine is stock, but there are several members there who modify their Box Crown Vic's extensively. Manual swaps in those cars are not unheard of, even though they never came from the factory with a manual transmission.

Who would dump far more than "what a car is worth" into a car that's 20+ years old? A car guy! :D

·
vdUbing
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys.... Its cool. Clearly he drives a Chevy and there for wouldnt understand liking a car and having one around a long time. Lmao. Jk jk... Kinda. Lol

·
vdUbing
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Econo BOX!!!!? This guy cant even tell one shape from another. Lmao. Its a VW thang... You wouldn't understand.

·
vdUbing
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok.. Now... Moving on. ;-) Thanks for your help guys. We are thinking we need to see what parts we can get from salvage. May just get new axles and starter to just be safe. Thank God my bug is a stick so we can use it as a reference for building this parts list. My only real worry is dealing with the suspension side of things when pulling the axles, and pulling the axles itself. Renting tools and reaching out for help should get us through this project. Fingers crossed.

·
mike03 2.0 vert
100 Posts
books

Got a Bentleys manual yet, it shows many of the parts you will need, and how to remove them also......like foot pedals etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts