VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I'm new here. I just purchased a 1999 Beetle 2.0 with a dead engine. I replaced the engine and the car now runs fine except that the automatic transmission is literally pouring oil.

Is there something I could have done wrong when I was putting the engine back in? It's the first time I'm working on a car with an auto tranny so I don't know what could go wrong.

What I'm wondering is how the oil gets from the transmission to the torque converter. Is there a seal there that I might have damaged?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it appears to be coming from where the bell housing meets the engine.

I'm pretty sure I will need to remove the transmission. Can someone point me to a good DIY with the right procedure so that I don't have to do it twice? Also, how hard is it on this car. I've done a few transmission swaps but it has always been on a rear wheel drive BMW with a manual transmission. It looks much harder on a FWD car with a transverse mounted engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just removed the transmission. The problem is I can't see anything wrong. Nothing seems to be damaged and the seal appears to be in good condition.

Is it somehow possible that when I installed the engine the torque converter wasn't fully seated? The bellhousing was fully mated to the engine so I can't see how that would be possible.

I really need help here. I don't want to buy a new transmisssion for that car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts