NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiances NB is finally running good, with no MIL's on, and now the transmission is acting up. Me having a 20 yr old Jeep with no features, with a standard transmission have not-so-much experience diagnosing an Auto transmission.

Symptoms:
When shifting from park to drive, there is a delay in engagement.
That being said, if you shift to 1 there is no delay.
Sometimes reverse is delayed in engagement also.
Also, sometimes it delays when the car is supposed to shift into 4th gear.

Possible Solutions:
Fluid and Filter change: Could bad fluid cause these symptoms?
Knowing that the previous owner was not very friendly toward this vehicle, new fluid is probably due anyhow.

New Transmission: Honestly I would just get rid of this car if the transmission was beyond repair, and save up for my fiance's dream car: a 1.8T Beetle with a 5spd and a sunroof.

This car has got to last a couple more years so hopefully the transmission isn't going. My opinion would be that the shifter or some kind of sensor could be bad. I just don't want to blow say $100 on a shifter that doesn't fix the problem.

Thanks for the read everybody!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,094 Posts
I'd start with changing the fluid. How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have the switching delays too and it seems to be a method to protect the clutches. If you switch too fast from reverse to drive or from drive to reverse it happens.

The delay of the 4th gear is not common.

Oil too old or filter clogged may cause problems. Unlike standard, fluid in automatic transmissions not only performs lubrication, but also acts as hydraulic oil. There is a fluid pump which builds pressure in lines to drive the clutches through electronic valves. Therefore, contaminated oil can clog the valve, clogged filter can cause insufficient fluid pressure. Also the clutches in Automatic transmission are soaked in oil and produce a lot of clutch powders. This will contaminate the oil faster while in standard there is nothing in the transmission to produce contaminations.

For repair, there are only 3 things we can do besides taking off the tranny and tear it down:
1. Fluid and filter change. As most problems are caused by fluid and filter, doing such will never be unworth. Also since the low cost of it, whenever have or suspect a problem start with a fluid and filter change.
2. Linkage adjustment. That linkage needs adjustment doesn't happen so often, but it happens.
3. External valve/sensor replacement. Sometimes sensors go bad. For example vehicle speed sensor, transmission range sensor, etc. This is not costful except for the parts.

If the diagnosis shows that there is an internal problem with the tranny, there is no other way to solve it except for tear it down which costs a lot of time and money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick fix for automatic shifting problems

I own a 2005 2.0 with 6 speed auto with 107,000 miles. It was bangng on downshifts, slipping on upshifts and generally being scary. Thtough a friend I learned about Wolfs Head Super Universal ATF. I changed the metal screen, refilled the trans with 3.5 quarts, drove it a few miles and repeated the drain and fill 3 times. 90% of the problem is gone!!! I read lots of posts about this issue and I'm confident this will fix your
NB automatic. Drain, clean pan, change filter or screen, run it, drain it, run it, drain it, run it drain it and enjoy your "fixed trans. The more I drive the better it's getting. I found the oil online at The Motorsport Guys, LLC dba AmalieStore.com. I hope this helps all of you suffering with erratic, knocking, clunking trans.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I own a 2005 2.0 with 6 speed auto with 107,000 miles. It was bangng on downshifts, slipping on upshifts and generally being scary. Thtough a friend I learned about Wolfs Head Super Universal ATF. I changed the metal screen, refilled the trans with 3.5 quarts, drove it a few miles and repeated the drain and fill 3 times. 90% of the problem is gone!!! I read lots of posts about this issue and I'm confident this will fix your
NB automatic. Drain, clean pan, change filter or screen, run it, drain it, run it, drain it, run it drain it and enjoy your "fixed trans. The more I drive the better it's getting. I found the oil online at The Motorsport Guys, LLC dba AmalieStore.com. I hope this helps all of you suffering with erratic, knocking, clunking trans.
Little more involved, VW extended the warranty on these, although yours could have been something totally unrelated.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well, if your tranny has 140,000 miles and hasn't received any fluid and filter changes, it is 80% bad. Typically if we change fluid and filter every 30,000-50,000 miles the tranny might run over 200k. VW doesn't specify tranny fluid and filter changing interval but according to my experience if you don't change fluid the tranny will go bad between 120,000-180,000 miles depending on driving habits.

My suggestion: change fluid and filter 2-3 times. Then if nothing changes, don't do anything just drive it until the tranny goes then replace or rebuild the tranny. Or you can sell it in this period of time...

Around 140,000.

·
Registered
512 Posts
It might not be the same case. The 6 speed is well-known as stupid tronic trans and they are very very sensitive to clogged filter. The 4 speed auto trans is not that sensitive and most of time if it has any symptoms of failing there is no way to get it back.

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
I had this same problem,

drop the pan, if the magnet is clear, your fluid is too degraded and should be changed anyway. Change it once and add a little more than is needed, not much, I say 1/10 of a litre. Then add a half bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix.

Should fix you right up.

in 6 months change the fluid again adding the recommended fluid level.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fluid update

I posted the "fix" for this. use Wolfs Head Super Universal ATF. Change the filter, add 3.5 quarts, drive it a bit, change fluid only, drive a bit, change it again and you'll be pleased.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts