NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Unlimited Reality Designs
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which of the two is better for the gauge pods? and does anyone got pictures of them installed?

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
This is an Autometer...easy install...Cheaper then Bernt too...! (in $$$ that is...still a quality product...)

I would think both are about the same...some styling difference...Bernt is a more solid thicker plastic, but I've never had a problem with the Autometer...

Attachments

·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok its going to be black for a while before i get it painted so will it look funny compared to the stock black and also im scared it will fall off and since it fits on the stop dash isnt it hardier to run the wires.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
No, it wont look funny...and to run the wires is easy...Where the POD sits you can remove that piece by just pushing foward on it...(towards the front of the car...

As for mine? I left the stock piece in place, and the Autometer just sits on top of it, held in place with velcro...never moves, unlessI need to get into the dash to replace the Inside air filter...

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I've heard way more good things about the Bernt.

Apparently you have to drill into your stock panel to run wires, the Bernt lets you replace your unscathed panel when and if you change your mind.

I'd invest a bit extra for a quality part.

·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i can get an autometer one for 20 dollars but im just going to leave the holes empty for a while until i get more money for the gauges. i might even just put tweeters in there instead and use it as center speakers. does anyone have pictures of the autometer and bernt up close and unpainted?

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
myth...you do NOT have to drill any holes....since the main panel slides foward....a little round files comes in handy...my god, you're only running 14-16 gauge wire...Slips right inbetween the panels... then the Pod covers...no muss, no fuss...

Here is the pic of the Bernt Pod from TVA...for $130 I might add...

And here is the Autometer pod...from TVA for $80....

Pros for the Bernt pod? you dont need to use your panel you currently have on the dash...you can take it out...the Bernt pod actually replaces it....and the Bernt pod is sturdier....but pricey...

If you use the Autometer pod, it sits atop the factory panel...you cant take it out, you need it for support....it's not as sturdy as the Burnt pod...but also cheaper in price....still looks good though...

Both can be painted after lightly sanding them...

and, if you need a good price on gauges, go to http://www.egauges.com ...they also have the Autometer pod for the beetle....cheaper in price then TVA (this is where I got my gauges and pod... For $45.95...cant beat that price from ANY supplier, unless you know someone...lol here is their pic...

·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bananarama said:
myth...you do NOT have to drill any holes....since the main panel slides foward....a little round files comes in handy...my god, you're only running 14-16 gauge wire...Slips right inbetween the panels... then the Pod covers...no muss, no fuss...

Here is the pic of the Bernt Pod from TVA...for $130 I might add...

And here is the Autometer pod...from TVA for $80....

Pros for the Bernt pod? you dont need to use your panel you currently have on the dash...you can take it out...the Bernt pod actually replaces it....and the Bernt pod is sturdier....but pricey...

If you use the Autometer pod, it sits atop the factory panel...you cant take it out, you need it for support....it's not as sturdy as the Burnt pod...but also cheaper in price....still looks good though...

Both can be painted after lightly sanding them...

and, if you need a good price on gauges, go to http://www.egauges.com ...they also have the Autometer pod for the beetle....cheaper in price then TVA (this is where I got my gauges and pod... For $45.95...cant beat that price from ANY supplier, unless you know someone...lol here is their pic...

so you got the 3 gauges and pod for 45 dollars shipped? if so that is a great deal. do they light up at night or just no lights at all? and what gauges do i need? i got a 2.0. no mods yet or nothing. im going mainely for lucks and comfort.

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
angelusnhc said:
so you got the 3 gauges and pod for 45 dollars shipped? if so that is a great deal. do they light up at night or just no lights at all? and what gauges do i need? i got a 2.0. no mods yet or nothing. im going mainely for lucks and comfort.
45 shipped gets you the gauge pod and no gauges...

and there are 3 autometer vs. bernt pages within the last two weeks...different pictures and sites to get them from

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Bananarama said:
This is an Autometer...easy install...Cheaper then Bernt too...! (in $$$ that is...still a quality product...)

I would think both are about the same...some styling difference...Bernt is a more solid thicker plastic, but I've never had a problem with the Autometer...

did you do the paint work,or have it done? It look great, & I want to do the same type of pod set up.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Nope, did the paint work myself...a little sanding with 400grit wet sand, and then primered and painted using paint from autozone no less...lol
and yes, they do light up....

Nope, the gauges you have to order seperatley....I think I spent around $80-$90 for 3 gauges...middle of the road prices...but they also come with all the fittings you need to hook them up...all you need to do is buy some wire from your local parts store....

NOW, if you DON'T know what you're doing eletronically and mecahnically, then I would let someone else who knows how to install them do it...a first timer can make costly mistakes...blow fuses, or short out gauges, or even cause the engine to leak...(oil or antifreeze) not only to the electrical system, but to the engine as well....If there is a "Get-together" in your area, see if one of the other members that have gauges and have installed them will help you...

Since you have a 2.0..(angelusnhc)..most of us run an ampmeter, oil pressure, and Temp gauge....others with the 1.8 T run a boost gauge....again, it's up to you what you want to put in there...oil pressure, temp, voltage, oil temp, etc...etc...

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
The Bernt is definitely better looking.
The Autometer sits ontop of the existing center panel. The Bernt replaces that panel. As a result, the Bernt looks like it's a factory piece. If you look at the pictures above, the base of the Bernt is exactly the same shape as the standard center panel, and the gauge pods just organically "grow" out of that base. The Autometer has a "ridge" around the base (to accomodate fitting over the VW panel), and then there's a "lump" that the gauge pods grow out of.

But, yeah, the Bernt is quite a bit more expensive. Whether the added aesthetic is worth the added cost is really a subjective, personal choice. For me, it'd be Bernt or nothing. Hence... I have nothing at the moment ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts