NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have an event this weekend, and im thinkin about participate just to have more experience, cause i am already on the finals, but since i sold my 19´s i have stock potenzas now, in 16", but i have a set of 195-50-15 michelins laying around, but to wheels....could it be worth to get some steelies to run with the michelins???
TIA

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
wow. 15's. i wish i could run 15's. (brakes too big)

15's are good, but if they are the stock michelins the grip sucks. the steelies are ok, but they seem to weigh a bit. i have audi tt rims and 225x45x17 toyo proxies that i autocross on. i think the grip is what you should be worried about. so, no. i don't think you should put steelies on.

hope it helps.

jd

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the michelins are stockies from a renault clio sport, theyre the pilots HX?, i dont know the last letters but theyre michelins pilot...by the way, i can get the steelies almost for free, so its no big deal with the $$...on the clio, they had a nice grip...the change in diameter could have some plaussible impact on the times???

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
yea, the wider the tire the better. but the smaller is better than say 19" rims. it's a win lose situation. i think 16" and 17" are ideal for autocrossing.

jd

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Personally I wouldn't bother w/it. The 15's if the tires are right to maintain your speedometer will have alot of sidewall flex. They'll be lighter probably, but I don't think it'll be anything dramatic. You said you were just goin' for experience anyway, so it shouldn't matter. Being easiest to leave it stock, rather than use up time to mount & balance the tires... I'd use the 16's.

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Yep 16 is perfect 17 is good, also inflate them propely for running HOT because rubbing a will make them hot.
Also Put less in the rear since its lighter and you dont have traccion over there.

With my 17 on auto X I put 30 up front (will go to 33-34 while running) and 27 in the back will go to 29 tops....

Tell us how it went...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i just talked to the guy and he will sell for 50 usd aprox...ill go for it....
the tire press....well...i ran 44 on the fronts for the 19´s...and had no wall rubbing at all...maybe it not such a deal the profile of the tire, sine its 195-50...thats not tall...ill see what can i do on sunday and will post the results....if it works, maybe thats my setup for the finals...
any other thoughts?
thanks a lot for your input....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey i have installed the tires on the 15´s....now my car is a mere 3 1/2 inches from the ground.... :O

i already drove it some 29 miles and it feels very solid, much better than stock, and i think a little better than the 19´s...whoa! i can make a burnout with these!!! hows that for power in a 2.slO??? LOL LOL

only the tire/wheel combo brought my car 3 cms closer to the ground tahn the 19´s....
ill post a pic of the changes it made....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heres the pic...
let me tell u some about the car height....
with 19 inch wheel and 235-35 tires the distance between the floor and the top of the wheel well was 65 cms (25.6 inches)
with the stock 205-55-16 it was at 63.5 (25 inches)
and with the 195-50-15 on steelies, its at 61 cms (24 inches)
and measuring from the line that runs between front and rear fenders, above the point it announces "heres were the jack goes" and the floor its as little as 13 cms (5.1 inches)
it barely made it to my garage...pheeew!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
what class?

NBregio,

looks great! burn 'em down... :)

i'm courious what class you are running in? you could probably kill around here in H Stock (if = two liter, no mods)

i ran these kumho v710's went to a lower profile and skinnier tire to "keep up" BEST DECISION EVER!

ran 225 50 16's switched to a 215 35 16, lowered my car one inch and launches out of the turns... heat up faster too...

post up your results page when your done

good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey tul, theres 3 categories here, its for male with a car with less than 150hp, m + 150, and female with any hp...
i am in both, -150 and +150 cause i ran another car, a clio renault sport (172hp) theres no much organization here, this is very amateur, but better than nothing...the slalom as they call it it organized by a bunch of students of a university, on the campus parking lot...
you can check their page at www.congreso-mecanica.com
wow! (i should have said this before) thats a great set of tires!!! wish i could get some and smash´em down...
another thing, yesterday while washing the tires, i noticed that the front right brakes were way too hot compared to the left ones...maybe the cylinder is getting stuck...lets see how it goes on sunday, wish me luck.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Best of luck man. Heh, that's one ugly dog in your avatar. :)
I'm afraid the tires might not hold up as well; I'm deffinately interested in hearing your results though. Maybe those 15's are the way to go for track. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey! great weekend !
i ran 44.88, the second best time of the event...just .7 behind a professional driver (renault sponsors him) on the top category...
the tires held up pretty well...in fact the car has more grip than ever...if it werent for the problems with speed bumps everywhere, i´d leave it as it is..
i am running the finals with this setup...!
i had a few catastrophes...first on saturday i checked the brakes, and...d´oh! toasted...i replaced pads and turned the rotors...drove a lot to set them up...
now, today, i started the car to go to the event, then on the gas station....the car didnt wanna restart...dead battery...all the event they were push-starting me...well now i have to buy a battery, plus the expenses of the brakes...phew!
i just hope the finals on oct-15 (btw, my wedding first anniversary) will bring something good to me...($$$$)

LOL

·
Everett Street in May
3,205 Posts
Give'm hell this weekend!!!!

Don't worry, if it breaks, they make more.

Run hard or stay home....TechnoTrix'd...:wave3:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah! thats some thinking!!
now im a bit concerned about the left axle joint...dont know the exact name for it...is that ugly thing that scrapes when you make a hard long turn...like metal rubbing metal.....i believe it is because the car beeing so low, but i hope it holds thru the saturday....ill post more pics on sunday....thanks, i think it helped a lot, so again, wish me luck!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey, we have an update!
ok, it didnt go well for me, i tumbled on 1 cone the first lap, and on the second....2 cones...:eek:
however, in the first lap, my time was 36.7somthing + 3 secs...39.7...that was close for a 3rd spot...
on the second run, i had a 35.25 +6....that hurt...the first place was 38.00...almost 3 secs advantage...if i just havent...d´oh! cone! d´oh!...
for info: the top category winner had a time of 36.15 IIRC..
i woulda had the best time on the event...well at least i had a lot of fun and proved the tires were doing great, even with the :confused: looking face the spectators and other contestants had...my brother ran my car too, and he earned the third spot !! wooo-hooo!!! won about 200 usd and other stuff..
the car turned like there was no tomorrow...im keeping the tires for the next season...
here are a few pics...
do you know how can i post a video?

Attachments

·
Everett Street in May
3,205 Posts
:clap: excellent news with the tire experiment sir!! Sorry that those cones bump'd your times up, but nice base numbers..

Yeah, it does look a little weird with the steelie 15's, but hey, if it gets you the fastest time, then it's all good.

TechnoTrix'd...:wave3:

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
You can't post the video, but if you put it elsewhere on the internet you can give us a link to it. Maybe putfile.com? I dunno how they work, just a random idea.

So... how big's that video? I wanna copy! :)

Bummer on the cones, 3 seconds each? DANG. That's vicious. Congrats on a killer time though :)

Man, that cornering pic looks like you're 'bout to rub rubber on the fender, or drag bumper, I can't tell which, that's pretty low. :)

noR

1 - 20 of 26 Posts