NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this beetle in the summer, and I remember after shutting it off, I'd hear a fan running for a few/several minutes, even though I didn't drive it, just moved it. Now that it's cold, I hear a buzzing noise, instead of the fan. Just wondering if that's normal, or if the fan possibly went bad??

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Buzzing noise when engine is shut off is the Auxiliary water pump. It circulates coolant to cool the turbo when the engine is shut off for about 15 minutes.

As for the fans not running, once your outside temps get to about 70F and you have driving more than 15 minutes, likely the fans should run for a short period once the car is shut off.

One thing that does cause the fans not to run is the thermostat go soft in these cars and they do not run at the proper temp and this will cause the fans to not run when the car is shut down.

You need some form of real time scan tool to read the coolant temp. Should run around 205F after about 15 minutes of driving.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buzzing noise when engine is shut off is the Auxiliary water pump. It circulates coolant to cool the turbo when the engine is shut off for about 15 minutes.

As for the fans not running, once your outside temps get to about 70F and you have driving more than 15 minutes, likely the fans should run for a short period once the car is shut off.

One thing that does cause the fans not to run is the thermostat go soft in these cars and they do not run at the proper temp and this will cause the fans to not run when the car is shut down.

You need some form of real time scan tool to read the coolant temp. Should run around 205F after about 15 minutes of driving.
Good to know, thanks.
I don't get to drive it much, so getting to know it is taking awhile..lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts