VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 NW 1.8L and tonight while working on the seemingly usual fan and ac problems, I noticed the pump was running after I turned off the ignition. In reading a number of posts regarding this pump, it appears it should run for ten minutes after the engine is stopped.

However, I can't find any reference as to what sets that time frame or what sensor the pump is tied to. The reason I am asking is the pump was running two hours after I turned off the cars ignition without even running the engine. I pulled the electrical connector off and then put the connector back on and the pump ran again. I pulled the connector a second time and put it back on and the pump stopped.

I am also including a photo as I didn't see any posts with photos of the pump. The connector is disconnected at time of photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well... Went out to garage this morning and was surprised to hear the pump running again. Battery is down to 8.4 volts. Would anyone have the wiring diagram which shows this circuit? I'm hoping it is a simple sensor that is stuck closed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
'02 Snap Orange 1.8T/5spd
152 Posts
It's powered directly from the fan control module (FMC) located below the battery. Look for a black box below the p/s fluid reservoir and that end of the battery.

Mine was doing the same as yours and actually killed a new battery that a dealership had just installed (prior to selling me the car), but it's now working correctly. Anyway, I was looking in to what either set the time, or whether it was temp sensing via a coolant temp sensor or indirectly through the engine computer, etc. I couldn't find any info.

My suggestion would be to replace the FMC.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
fcm

I agree replace the FCM because some of those relays inside the fcm tend to stay stuck. you'll be surprised how many problems you'll fix once you replace that poppy..LOL :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I had already replaced the FCM and it caused a lot of problems to troubleshoot. The FCM was in fact bad. I got a new one and all of the fan, aux water pump problems went away. The car is back to working perfectly. Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Fcm

So you replaced that twice? OMG, What brand did you use the first time? I'm just trying to learn here for future reference and avoiding the same problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts