NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
There was one other that got wrecked after waterfest I believe.

I often thought about buying a wrecked TT180 quattro and using only the AWD and body parts to build a NB 1.8T quattro. Don't know if it would work as easily as I think, probably not.

I know that VR6-4motion conversions are what have been done.
I would love to just do the quattro without changing the motor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking to do it for traction on snow and ice.Do you think it could be done without putting a new floor pan and just routing the exaust a different way?Would the rear diff and arms fit on the exsisting floor pan?

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
Dood, look at the HPA site, it's a MAJOR cut and paste job...front wheel drive is already great in snow and ice, add an LSD for about $1000 + labor and you'll rock...here: http://www.quaifeamerica.com

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
The floorpan needs to be changed to bolt on the suspension and driveshaft/rear diff. The suspension is independent on the quattro/4motion.

And I SOOO don't agree that FWD is fine unless you have 300+hp.

The handling dynamics are SOOOO different with AWD than FWD.
RWD is really the best for performance driving, but AWD can be fun too.

FWD=bad understeer under throttle.
AWD=some understeer, can be dialed more neutral.
RWD=neutral to oversteer, controlled with your right foot.

FWD will get you going in snow/ice, but it is no way near as capable as AWD. Again, under throttle it will understeer horribly in slippery conditions. With AWD, you can use throttle to kick the rear around to elminate the understeer.
Tons of fun in my A6 Avant Quattro driving in the snow.
I can hold it sideways like Petter Solberg in that car, imagining I'm on stage 1 of the Swedish Rally.

·
Registered
58 Posts
VW Australia had an NB 4WD doing the rounds of the Dealers last year.I didn't get to see it,but a mate of mine got to sit in it and touch it and dream.He took many pics for me and the whole back floor,rear seat and boot area were entirely different.There was a tall hump in the rear floor for the driveshaft,the rear seat was even thinner and sat up much higher and the boot floor area was also a lot higher.

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
Billsbug said:
I was talking dry pavement, not wet/snow/ice...;)
Even with that, I am running a GTI 180 tranny with a LSD and I just dont get traction unless i baby it like crazy off the start and wait till after I am into 2nd of a little bit or else I just get wheel spin on both tires, even after I got new BFG KDW2s. I have not dynoed recently but I am guessing I am near 210-220 WHP at 1bar.

·
6,525 Posts
NBTurboFreak said:
Even with that, I am running a GTI 180 tranny with a LSD and I just dont get traction unless i baby it like crazy off the start and wait till after I am into 2nd of a little bit or else I just get wheel spin on both tires, even after I got new BFG KDW2s. I have not dynoed recently but I am guessing I am near 210-220 WHP at 1bar.
Dood, I am very close to where you are in whp and torque, but I don't have BIG issues with wheel spin on dry pavement with my Michelin PS2's. Maybe yer usin' too high rpm's to launch? My mods guy, Chris Green, drag races his 700 hp Jetta with FWD and an LSD and does 9's...check out his huge spread in the December issue of Euro Tuner Mag!

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
LSD? Whazzat?

Newbie question: what's this 'LSD' you refer to? I can guess that the "D" is "drive", but I can't guess the other two.

Clue, please? I'd like to buy a vowel.

·
6,525 Posts
Ever heard of Leary? Naw, the other kind of LSD (Limited Slip Differential)! :D

Go here and click on Differentials: http://www.quaifeamerica.com

VW - Type 02J - New Beetle, Golf 4, Jetta 4: 1.8/1.8T/2.0/VR6/TDI (5-spd) $895.00

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
Billsbug said:
Looking at your mods, how come no rear sway bar? Might tighen things up a bit at launch...
I had a rear Sway bar on my last one and it made my suspension too tight, for the setup I had at the time, and I was running the lowest setting and ended up losing it in a corner one night. So personally I like to have the car running a little lose now.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts