VW Beetle Forum banner

Awful Squeal on Start

16K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  cfromberg 
#1 ·
This problem is referring to a '99 1.8L Turbo NB. Occasionally when starting the car, it will emit a loud squealing noise. The noise occurs maybe once every 5 starts, and aside from the horribly unpleasant noise, the car runs fine. I'm just concerned that this is a warning sign to a bigger problem. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
Could be either a belt slipping (does it happen only when the A/C is on when you start it?) or the starter grinding when it disengages (does it do it randomly? is it more metallic than a rubber belt squealing?)? My starter ocassionally grinds when it disengages, and I have no idea why, but I'm not going to worry about it until it fails, or I replace my clutch, whichever happens first. I'd guess its your starter, my friends NBC 1.8t also does this, and thats what their problem was...

Matt

#5 ·
Even if it happens without the AC on, the power steering pump and the AC condenser are ran on the same belt. That belt probably needs to be retensioned. I've never done it on a Beetle before, but I did it on my old Eclipse one time and it was like a ten minute job.

#8 ·
My beetle has two different start-up squeaks, both of which happen more often in colder weather.

The first one is the starter motor not disengaging when the engine starts. I know this b/c if I try to hold the key in the "start" position for a short as possible time to start the car there is a shorter sequel sound and thus if I hold the key in the start position for a longer time I hear a longer squeal.

2nd sequel, the A/C blower motor. This one is real easy to diagnose. The next time it makes the noise, turn your a/c blower motor back and forth from level 0 to level 4 and see if the sound comes and goes.

Both I think are not a major issue, just a little flaw but one can only assume that they will some day break.

#9 ·
Replacing the drive belt on this car is a 10 minute job max.

Have someone start the car while you listen under the hood to identify the culprit, if the car has a lot of miles on it then it could be the tensioner and/or the belt.

This should not be allowed to go on because it could cause alternator/alternator bearing failure due to constant belt slippage, if the alternator fails then that could cause excessive battery discharge leading to battery damage/failure .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.