NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Confused on which proper AC Compressor to buy. There is one on Rockauto for an APH engine code, then some don't even list an engine code. Is it safe to purchase the APH mentioned AC Compressor for my AWV?

Thanks,
Leo

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Most i have seen are made by Sanden; there should be a sticker on the original with the vw and manufacturer part numbers on it.

What are the current issues with your a/c; have you done any troubleshooting or testing, hooked up some a/c gauges?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most i have seen are made by Sanden; there should be a sticker on the original with the vw and manufacturer part numbers on it.

What are the current issues with your a/c; have you done any troubleshooting or testing, hooked up some a/c gauges?
It's a new to me Vdub. PO ripped off the lower AC Hose and not sure how long that was open to atmosphere. I replaced the hose and o-rings, blowing out the condenser as well. I tried to evac and charge myself using gauges but without luck. High pressure was way too high. Then took it to an AC shop that I have used in the past and the compressor stopped working. I replaced the Compressor with a "so called rebuilt" one from ebay and new drier. Took it back tot the AC shop and the compressor clutch has a short. Slightly pissed at that point as I took a couple days to install it. Anyways, need to replace the compressor but going thru a known vendor instead of taking my chances with hack ebay sellers. I still got the original and it's an OEM Bosch. Just looking to make sure I get the right one.

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Well, you can get the part number off the old one or search on vw's parts site and then, search using those part #'s? www.parts.vw.com

What year, model, engine and trans, is your new beetle?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, you can get the part number off the old one or search on vw's parts site and then, search using those part #'s? www.parts.vw.com

What year, model, engine and trans, is your new beetle?
2001 1.8 Turbo Auto. I do know I can go off the OEM part number but not looking to buy a $900 compressor for a $900 car, lol. Just need to get the AC working. I would think any compressor for my year, make and model would work but it's the engine code specification that has me stumped.

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
FCPEURO, has a Nissens compressor listed for your car, which has good reviews; at about $200, the next step up is a oem Denso part @ almost $400 and they offer a lifetime warranty, on all the parts they sell.

Audi VW A/C Compressor - Nissens 1J0820803N

Video, discussing compressor failures:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FCPEURO, has a Nissens compressor listed for your car, which has good reviews; at about $200, the next step up is a oem Denso part @ almost $400 and they offer a lifetime warranty, on all the parts they sell.

Audi VW A/C Compressor - Nissens 1J0820803N

Video, discussing compressor failures:

Great find. I'll check this out.

Leo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts