VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and I am looking for some info for an engine swap.

I have a 2001 Beetle AWV with an Automatic. The motor is junk. I have access to a 2002 AWP engine complete with harness/no ECU out of a Jetta with a automatic transmission.

My question is, will the ECU from a 2002 and up Jetta AWP with Auto work in the the Beetle ?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Paul

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!
Hello from the warm reaches of North Carolina! Some of our more technical members will be by to answer your questions.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
49 Posts
As far as I know, its going to be a big headache. If your car was 2002 or newer, it would be more plug and play. The entire wire harness has to be swapped including the dash. Cluster,ign cyl+keys, and ecu have to be used if you are not sending the ecu out to have the immo disabled. I have an entire awp swap sitting in my garage and I still don't want to get involved in it.
"
My question is, will the ECU from a 2002 and up Jetta AWP with Auto work in the the Beetle ? "
Yes but its a big PITA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Owen - Thanks for the reply.I did see you have your own swap going. Sorry its not going well for you.
What I have going for me is my car is already a 1.8 turbo. From what I have learned ( & still learning) the only reason to change the dash is for the pin # for the imob programming of the swapped ECU. This Pin # is retrievable with the correct scan tool. I am in the auto industry and have the ability to retrieve the pin as well as have the imob chip changed in the ECU. Changing the Imob chip from the orig ECU to the donor ECU is by far the easiest. We have had this done many times before as well as programming the ECU and the keys. we have done this on used/replacement ECU's. I was trying to see if anyone here has completed an AWV to AWP swap in a Beetle.
I also heard that the 1.8 to 2.0 is a PITA as you stated. I may be able get you in touch with some one who can help. I will ask him the next time I speak to him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

With some research I found the emissions routing as well as the harness for a AWV and AWP seem to be identical. I also spoke to Unitronics regarding tuning. They said there should not be an issue to tune either ecu (the Original AWV or the donor AVP from the Jetta) especially if we delete the Immob.
The engine is on a stand now - we are swapping the intake manifold, engine harness and Vacuum harness because my donor AWP motor came from a Jetta. I am installing the engine this weekend and will leave an update next week after we get the ECU back from Unitronics.

Have a great weekend

Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update

Swap is done - Could not have gone smoother. No Codes - Passed smog - Blowing 0's out the tail pipe.
There were minor brackets changes and breather hose adaptations to make but otherwise it went very well. Spoke to 034 about programming to stage 2 AVP and they said it should go well also.

The next two weeks will be devoted to lowering and brake upgrades

Thats all for now

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and I am looking for some info for an engine swap.

I have a 2001 Beetle AWV with an Automatic. The motor is junk. I have access to a 2002 AWP engine complete with harness/no ECU out of a Jetta with a automatic transmission.

My question is, will the ECU from a 2002 and up Jetta AWP with Auto work in the the Beetle ?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Paul
300Blackout, this is exactly what I am going thru right now, you gave me the warm fuzy feeling till you said "brackets changes and breather hose adaptations", coul dyou please elaborate if you remember which ones?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Swap is done - Could not have gone smoother. No Codes - Passed smog - Blowing 0's out the tail pipe.
There were minor brackets changes and breather hose adaptations to make but otherwise it went very well. Spoke to 034 about programming to stage 2 AVP and they said it should go well also.

The next two weeks will be devoted to lowering and brake upgrades

Thats all for now

Paul
Post some pictures Paul! :party.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Saminmadison,

The brackets I am talking about are specific to beetle with auto. My donor engine was from a Jetta with 5 speed. Basically transfer all of your original brackets,coolant hoses, wiring and vacuum harness from your original engine to the new one.
I used the breather hose (back of valve cover) from the Jetta (because my engine was all assembled when I came across this issue) due to the fact that the Valve Cover has a bigger tube for the breather hose. Otherwise just change the valve cover from you original engine and you will be good to go.
The other hose/tube to swap was for the transmission cooler. It is the tubs that is under the intake thatenters the block near the Tstat housing and rus aroung the back of the block. The Manual transmission cars do not have the same tube.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PRM502STREET,

Sorry but I do not have pics of the swap but will gladly help/talk anyone through it.

I will post pics of the suspension and brake upgrades soon.

The next upgrade will be to a 6 speed trans - I will take pics and post

1 - 12 of 12 Posts