VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys.

So I had the bug in to get the CV joint boot fixed and they found out that the inner one is leaking, too. So, I said just replace the whole axle.

Well, they went at it and called me back like 2 hours later and said that the axle is like stuck in the transmission and that a special tool is needed to release it.

Can this happen?! I trust the shop, very much at that, and they said they had never had a problem on any of the VW axles that they had done before.

Anyone else had this problem or know what tool they need?

2003 NBC 2.0 6 Speed Tip with 90k at question here.

Thanks!

·
2,646 Posts
Okay guys.

So I had the bug in to get the CV joint boot fixed and they found out that the inner one is leaking, too. So, I said just replace the whole axle.

Well, they went at it and called me back like 2 hours later and said that the axle is like stuck in the transmission and that a special tool is needed to release it.

Can this happen?! I trust the shop, very much at that, and they said they had never had a problem on any of the VW axles that they had done before.

Anyone else had this problem or know what tool they need?

2003 NBC 2.0 6 Speed Tip with 90k at question here.

Thanks!
Nothing too special about a 10 or 12mm triple square bit--available at any auto parts store. The axle is bolted to a drive flange sticking out of the transmission--the axle does not go "in" the transmission. Sounds like someone is not as competent as you thought.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I've discovered that the Tiptronic trans don't use the standar 6 bolt axle... they use some other weird like wedge in axle.

anyone have any info on how to remove them? pics from a bently manual? pweeze :)

thanks!

·
2,646 Posts
Well I stand corrected!:eek: I can't help you out on Bentley either, since mine is for Jettas and Golfs which didn't get the 6 speed Tip, I've just got info on the 01M and 09A.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I stand corrected!:eek: I can't help you out on Bentley either, since mine is for Jettas and Golfs which didn't get the 6 speed Tip, I've just got info on the 01M and 09A.
haha! i know! good thing i didn't go rip-roaring into my mechanic telling them they are idiots!! LOL...

I had no idea there were different axles for different transmission (well, the way they attach anyway...)

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's held in with a C clip and it pops out. Some pop easy with just one pry bar and sometimes they are so tight you have to use 2 large flat head screwdrivers. Use a mallet and wedge one screwdriver on one side between the axle and case and then stick the other on the other side and begin hitting.

·
Kimberlee
176 Posts
I bet the shop is afraid to do what it takes to remove the axle because they're afraid of cracking your multi thousand dollar transaxle case lol. My '05 09G has the same axle, I just replaced the inner boot on one side. You can't just pull the axle out of the diff because the only thing holding the shaft to the inner joint housing is the boot so yanking on it won't last long. I was reluctant to try wedging and prying at first but it because obvious that this is what it took. I ended up finding my widest chisel (about an inch wide) to disperse the force as much as I could, and started tapping it between the joint housing and transmission case. After a couple decent blow's it popped out.

Before reinstalling, after replacing the boot, I lubed up the clip and splines a little with some oil and it popped right back in without much effort. I would stay away from hammering it in from the hub end as these clips are more about finesse than force. Wiggle it around as your put pressure to push it back in and it should pop in.

Make sure you tell the shop not to crack your transmission case lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cv replacement triptonic 6 speed

Best way to remove these cv axle is remove axle and inner boot drill 3/8 hole, install
Bolt and chain to inside of axle stub , chain should be about 18 inches long, connect
A large slide hammer,takes about 25 good blows , both axles were the same :)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
So I spoke a little too soon. I have a Reman axle shaft here as I type this from VW.

Car had a small run in with a pot hole the day after I posted this. At least it was the axle that needed boots!!

Anyway, I did not know VW sold Reman axle shafts. Suggest if you need axles, climb up under the car and see if the part number sticker is still attached. I was surprised after 10 years mine still had the sticker on it!! There are more axle combinations that engine and trans combinations for these cars!!

I have the slip in axles. My axle release tool ended up being a 1 1/2" wide wood chisel. I tried many other things, this worked fantastic. I had nightmares about drilling & tapping, chains and slide hammers along with cracked transaxle cases!

Axle Release Tool.jpg

For you other owners that wonder what we are speaking about, some of the later automatic cars has snap in axles, not bolt on flange axles on the differential side. See pictures below.

Anyway no issue, actually pretty easy.

See pictures of tool and Reman axle and the link for my day after saga!!

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/61024-bad-day-nobody-hurt.html

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts