VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I’m not too sure how active this page is, or if anyone will be able to help. Or really if that’s how this works. But, here it goes:

So, I had to slam on my breaks and wasn’t fast enough to slam the clutch with it. I originally thought I shot the axle, but upon further investigation, ALL the bolts connecting the driver side axle to the transmission housing were gone. Probably already loose, last straw type of ordeal. I assume it’s from the last person to work on it. I don’t know the exact details of the make and model. But I do know it’s a turbo manual from (I believe) 2003, (maybe something about GLS?) atleast that’s what the person I bought it off of told me.

Now, it doesn’t have anything wrong with it, other then this one instance (obviously), it runs great. Etc, Etc. I’m having troubles finding any information about what those bolts are or where to get them, would there be any similar bolts I could use instead of the specific model? Or, where would I find them without having to buy the whole replacement assembly from VW? I tried to call them, but missed their time frame, figured you guys would be able to help? Thank you.

· Registered
19,235 Posts
Your local vw dealer; will be able to you what you need with your vin #.

On the hubs you put the bolts into; check for thread damage, clean with brake cleaner or chase if needed. Torque to spec; they typically have loctite thread locker on them, apply if needed. When installed and torqued to spec; you will not have any issues with them falling off.

You may need to buy a special triple square/xzn socket; to tighten and correctly torque to spec (should be available at most auto parts stores).

· Registered
2,114 Posts
Even though these are for a diesel they should be the same.

This is an all to common happening on a vw gas or diesel powered beetle, golf or Jetta. There is a specific value that these bolts are torqued to, I’d have to look for sure but I believe it’s about 33ft lbs. double check me on that as I am not in my garage where I have it written on a poster Hanging on my wall.

You can also replace the flange if needed. It’s removed by wiping away the grease and removing a single 10mm bolt in the center of the flange. I wouldn’t do that unless the flange is damaged.

The manual transmission has the triple square (xzn bolts) the automatic has hex head bolts. Use the correct bolt.

If you just purchased this vehicle I would go through it and check the other side axle, all four brakes, change the fluids and filters etc.

If you don’t have a torque wrench now is a good time to get one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.