NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend i headed over to The Cheat's hous,e and installed a B&M short shift for vr6 mk3 and early mk4 vw's. Everything went smoothly and it worked great.

Until today. I was driving to work and was shifing briskly, and the little C clip that holds the forward and back shift cable to the selector rod came off, and i lost the ability to shift.

I had to pull up hte shift boot and phennagle it back onto the selector and use 3rd and 4th to get it to work, which wasnt fun with a clitch that was on borrowed time with 89k on it. When i got to worki borroed thier tools to dissasemble it and get the clip back on.

Well anyways, is this a common problem, and is there any way i can make it not happen again, as i love the way it shifts now, and the car is a daily driver, and i dont want this becoming a routine thing.

Any insight is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I have used the same shifter on two NB's (2000 & 2004) for a total of about 45,000 miles with no issues.
The only changes were a bit of smoothing out of the shift throw.
If you have the original instruction sheet, I would check it against your installation for correctness.

Also check for obstructions that may be rubbing the C-clip.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts