NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I'm still kind of nervous because my var just barely made it home. It was running fine when I left work. Then I went to pick up my dad at a relatives house, and headed towards my house. At a stoplight, my engine started shaking and it felt like my car was going to stall....but it didn't. The light turned green and I accelerated at which point the check engine light started flashing. I proceeded to drive home slowly (max. 80kmh). When I got home I assessed the car's situation. I left the car running, popped the hood and notice that my engine was shaking more than normal. By the tail pipe, it smelled similar to burnt hair!! and sounded like it was backfiring. What could this be? Fuel filter, MAF, Vaccuum lines, etc...

Any advice appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
This happened to my TS. All of a sudden, started shaking and bucking, barely made it home!

Coil packs............:mad:

If that is what it is, you may be under recall warranty. Good luck!

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
the coil packs on the 1.8t are a totally differnt beast comapred to the regular old coil for the 2.0. the 1.8 has a seperate coil per cylinder, and the 2.0 has one coil for all 4.

I does seem like it could be a bad coil, or bad wire, or bad plug. That would be an easy fix (i actually did my own, and i'm mechanically inept but i'm good electrical-wise).

I've never smelt "burnt hair" outta the exhause before, i did my plugs and wires as a PM thing. Good luck with the fix, and i hope it's nothing more than that.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Scan the code and it should tell where the problem is. Could be the coil.. could be wire or plug like toad suggested. Could be bad MAF or a dirty TPS/throttle body. Lots of possibilities - the code will narrow it down.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I took it to the dealer this morning, and they scanned the codes. Although they didn't tell me what came up, they said my Quote: "Spark Plugs are loaded with oil", subsequently we need to take the engine apart". This is all covered by the certified pre-owned warranty. Will keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So my parents picked my car up from the dealer today while I was at school. It was my first time taking public transit...and I hate it. Anyhow, the dealership told them they changed $1,800 in parts on the engine plus labour! They replaced the pistons, piston rings, spark plugs, water pump?? I just changed my water pump, timing etc.. 3000 kms ago:cuss:

Honestly, I am very disappointed with my beetle. In the year and a half that I have owned it, in addition to regular maintenance, I have changed the MAF sensor, trunk latch (trunk wouldn't close)-these occurred in the first few months. Within the last 5 months, I have changed the ABS computer (warning light came on), ABS pump (warning light again!), door latches (interior lights not coming on), throttle body (gas pedal got stuck while driving), and now this engine problem. Granted all this was covered by my warranty (minus maintenance!) My estimate is on the cost (if I didn't have warranty) is approx $6000 in repairs! Now I just want to get rid of my car before the warranty expires.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Unfortunately, that sounds like a very wise move at this point.

Be careful breaking it in btw. Your engine is now brand new again. So do the breakin all over again. On the bright side; everything's new now, you might not have any kind of oil problems anymore. :)

Be real easy, and break your engine in smoothly. Get the oil changed real soon too, like after 1500mi or something. Then get it done again 3500mi later and you'll be good to go back to the 5k schedule.

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
If I had to bet seems to me your dealer is taking VWof A for a ride, ALWAYS DEMEND TO SEE THE CODES. IMHO the dealer maybe found a bad spark plug a loose wire or MAYBE a bad MAF, then proceeded to make a big fuss about it, have a bill of 6000 that VW of A will have to pay.
If you changed the water pump and it was practically brand new an also the timing belt, why did they change it again?
No wonder we call em stealerships, they are amazing, I forgot to plug correctly the intercooler presure sensor once and it became loose, and my mecanic was closed and I did not want to drive till home with the cel on and the engine sputerring and close to stalling all the time...so I entered one Stealership, they plugged the VAG COM, and proceded to tell me that my timing belt had slipped and I was lucky my engine wasnot shot, I demanded seeing the code, they did not want to, I spoke to the manager he agreed, and lo and behold "Implausible signal from turbo press sender" (they tought I was an idiot and would not know what was the problem) I went to the floor attached the presure sender, ask them to clear the code. stoped the engine, restarted it VOILA !!! perfect, I just said thank you for trying to fool me, got into my bug and drove away....

MY MOTTO always seek someone who has the Vag com near you and scan your car....

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Ouch, that sounds rough. I dunno if they could pull one on vwoa for sure. After all, if it's billed warranty, they have to ship the parts back to VW.

I agree, them not showing the code is pretty lame. Some dealerships try not to; my friend's a mechanic and he hates that they were told to write the codes onto the tickets; and he protested for a little while. After all, that is how he made his living. Read the code, and you'll know what's wrong w/the car. (well where to start looking) He knows that once they're out there, everyone can just scan it themself and figure it out. It's kinda selfish, but that's where the money's at of course.

But I would think if you ask to know the specific code before they've read & cleared it, they should tell you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts