VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://newbeetle.org/forums/members/41734-******-albums2114-back-dragon-2015-picture14249-botdwoutbotdday-2.jpg
October 24, 2015

Back of the Dragon is a 64 mile drive from Marion, VA to Tazewell VA and back. A classic twisty road, the two-lane ribbon of asphalt known as VA-16 features blind curves, various switchbacks, and steep elevations changes over 3 mountains in a rural setting with 55 MPH speed limit that will cause trouble if you don't pay attention.

It's not all constant curves and corners though, there's the occasional straight away that allows the driver to relax for a moment or two or to pass any locals who are not running fast enough for you.

Hungry Mother State Park is along the route as well as a couple of other turnouts for photo ops though restroom availability is limited to the park and a gas station on the route.

The previous two years we met at Appletree Restaurant (Hwys 81 & 16) for a breakfast meet, greet, and eat then formed up, paraded through Marion and rolled up 16 to Tazewell and back.

In 2013, we ate lunch upon returning to Marion. In 2014, we ate hot dogs at a turn around point at a gas station/store where we also bought stickers and decals.

Please Note:
1- There is no designated “Leisure Group” for Back of the Dragon. If you prefer a more casual run, please position your car to the rear of the line up. If, during the run, the pace is too fast, feel free to signal the cars behind to pass on the straights or reposition at convenient opportunities -- we'll all catch up to one another at the stops along the way. Along the route, there's only 1 or 2 places to take a wrong turn and those will be pointed out.

2- It is a public highway with local traffic and law enforcement so be forewarned.

3- While the speed limit is 55, drive within your ability and allow a safe distance between you and the car ahead of you.

4- Back of the Dragon 3.0 is hosted by the Mid Atlantic Coastal Beetle Group - a subgroup of newbeetle.org but we do not require you to drive a Beetle, but it is preferred BoD is scheduled for the last Saturday in October that is not Halloween.

ToD 3.0 is evolving as far as planned set pieces. It is a collaborative effort among various people including some who live in the area. Here-to-fore certain aspects of the day/weekend have been made “on the fly,” but as the group is growing, more aspects will be decided in advance.

Weather
2013- sweater/coat; some snow on hillsides
2014- short sleeves; sunny and warmish

As far as accommodations, Wytheville (27 minutes up 81 from Marion) is the best choice for variety though Warren stayed in Marion at the Francis Marion Hotel and said it was very nice. Last year, 4 cars stayed at The Best Western in Wytheville.

Accommodations List
This a partial list, book at your own discretion. Google is your friend.

*General Francis Marion Hotel
107 E. Main St., Marion, VA
276-783-4800

Econolodge
1420 N. Main St., Marion, VA
276-783-6031

Americas Best Value Inn
1424 N. Main St. , Marion, VA
276-378-0481
--------
Comfort Inn
5558 Lee Hwy, Atkins, VA
276-783-2144
---------
*Best Western Wytheville Inn
355 Nye Rd., Wytheville, VA
276-228-7300

* indicates accommodations that have been used by participants previously and are being booked again this year. There are other hotels and motels available to chose from.

Restaurant List
http://m.yelp.com/search?cflt=restaurants&find_loc=Marion,+VA+24354

Attraction List
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...s-Big_Walker_Lookout-Wytheville_Virginia.html

History:

2013 - Original Dragon Masters:
Vincent (+12) with Steven
Buglet (NB) with Lorna
****** (NB) with Don & Kim
Po’ Man (+12) with Ed & Lois

2014 - BoD 2.0
****** (NB) with Chris
Shiva (NB) with Don
Beetle Juice (+12) with Whitney and Jeb
Vincent (+12) with Steven and Cody
My Girl (NB) with Ashley and Mom and Dog
Ikiane (NB) with Warren and Simone
Pepe Jr. (NB) with Robert and Christine

For those interested in expanded or optional runs in the area:

200 mile version:
http://www.visitvirginiamountains.com/images/trails-breaksandback.jpg

Other routes:
http://clawofthedragon.com/images/mapfile1-19-15.jpg

"Morning of" Details
http://newbeetle.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1284642

More details to come

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,158 Posts
Dates....

Have you guys set the date for this GTG yet? I know it's around the time TSD runs, but, I have done that one already and Virginia is a lot closer than Oklahoma.

Do you have a host hotel you use or is it a single day event?

Sounds like a fun trip even though RADAR detectors aren't allowed in VA! It still should be just an 8 hour trip from Jacksonville.

Chuckie

·
Gustav
349 Posts
We are thinking seriously of heading up as well Chuckie it would be great to make the drive together. The event is 10/24/15 it's on the collective FB page but needs to updated here as that post has most likely disappeared.

·
Momentai!!!
1,092 Posts
We're still in the planning process so far. You'll have to get a hold of Don, AKA ******, to ask about the hotel location. I know they used one last year. Cody and I only live about 40 minuets in Lebanon so it's very local for us! And some other members came from Bristol and didn't stay in one. It's a lot of fun! It's more rural than ToD, but still great fun!

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it's 10/24/15. I wanted to let the ToD buzz fade this week before posting more about BoD.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,158 Posts
Good Deal

Thanks for the date info. I'm not on the collective so I wouldn't have seen it.

It's just a tad over 8 hours from Jacksonville, about 90% interstate so the distance isn't a problem for us. There is a chance we will be going to Las Vegas a week later so this trip would depend on wether or not that trip goes through.

Geo: It would be a blast to have a group from Florida all head up and stay together!

I'll hang loose and wait for all the info to be posted. As soon as we can commit I will.

Thanks

·
5/23/10 <3
11,300 Posts
Nothing on our calendar for that weekend yet. So we might make this one since we missed ToD!

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,158 Posts
Zonkers!

This is looking better and better all the time! We would probably drive up on Friday, Run the route on Saturday, figure out something to do on Sunday and drive back on Monday. We would run up 95 to 26 to 75 to 81. Coming back I think we probably would look at running down 91 to 321 and sneak the back way into Charlotte. It's about an hour longer drive but it looks like a pretty twisty road in itself.

Might as well enjoy the ride up and back.

I think it's a safe bet to put us down on the list.

I've never driven this road before.

Chuckie

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll be posting some alternate and extended run information for BoD, Chuckie. You may be interested.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,158 Posts
Groovy

Sounds great. I would love to see a big turnout.

With RADAR detectors banned in Virginia it will be even more of a challenge! (Stupid Communists!)

Can't wait now.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,867 Posts
Nothing on our calendar for that weekend yet. So we might make this one since we missed ToD!
Awesome news Jess! Would love to see you and Bill again. After all, we're part of the elite 5-speed swap club :lol:

Not sure on our route yet. I'm really hoping the wife-unit can make it. If Val's a go, we might do an Atlanta swing, to see one of her sisters, or try and meet up with her Raleigh sister somewhere in between. It would be cool if we could roll up together.

Will keep you posted.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,158 Posts
We are in

The ERB (Executive Review Board) in other words, Wifey, says this is the trip! We have been to Talimenia once before and this is a thousand miles roundtrip closer than Oklahoma. The plan is to shoot up Friday and play on Saturday and Sunday and come back on Monday.

Have to be in the hotel room Saturday night as Texas Tech is playing Oklahoma on TeeVee. Can't miss that!

We would take the shortest/fastest route up so we could get to the hotel at a decent hour and mingle with everyone. Coming home we would run some backroads down to Charlotte and then blast down the interstates home to Florida. There is an Econolodge in Marion with rooms for about $75.00 a night. But we will stay where ever the group settles.

Looking forward to doing new roads again!

Chuckie

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Updated initial post with expanded and alternate route information for those who may want even more fun during Back of the Dragon.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts