VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a 2003 beetle 2.0 convertible. When the gas gets below the 1/4 line the car will hesitate really bad for several seconds at a time where it completely loses power. This happens a lot worse when going up a hill. This now our 2nd beetle that has done the same exact thing. The first was 2001 1.8 turbo which was wrecked before we could figure out the problem,, now this one with a completely different engine does the same thing. Don't have the money to throw parts at it till one works so trying to get some suggestions. Thank you

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
I would scan the car for trouble codes; my first thought would be fuel delivery. I would start the testing/troubleshooting by testing the fuel pressure. You can buy or rent a fuel pressure kit at a auto parts store or places like harbor freight.

Fuel pressure testing procedures:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle L4-2.0L (AZG) (2003) > Powertrain Management > Tune-up and Engine Performance Checks > Fuel Pressure > System Information > Specifications

Scan the car for trouble codes and do the fuel pressure testing; share the results and we will go from there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only code right now is the one I've had for coolant system performance or whatever that one is. I'll look into the fuel. I've figured it was fuel related just hoping since I've had it on 2 completely different beetles that it's a common problem someone has had.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Well, you need to diagnose the problem with hard cold facts, from the results of testing and this will point you to the problem. It's either the ignition or a fuel delivery proble. Get the car scanned and test the fuel system; let us know the results, we will go from there! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have had an '03 vert I got for my wife 2 years ago. Did a complete tune up with new wires, plugs, air filter and temp sensor. Still had hesitation so I replaced the fuel filter and it was half full of water. It would run good until you refilled the tank or dove it hard in curves and would finally settle down after driving for a while. Sounds like you may have some water in the tank and/or filter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See mine is just the opposite problem. Mine runs great no problems at all until it gets under that 1/4 line than all goes to hell. I'll have to see if I can find a way to test the fuel pressure as I don't have an extensive set of tools.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
I would start by replacing the fuel filter. Its a part that is often overlooked for replacement. I know they were original in both my cars when I replaced them. 98k on the one in my Beetle, 115k on the one in my GTI. I never had any issues with mine, but there was definitely some nasty stuff that came out of the filter in my GTI.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Currently have a 2003 beetle 2.0 convertible. When the gas gets below the 1/4 line the car will hesitate really bad for several seconds at a time where it completely loses power. This happens a lot worse when going up a hill. This now our 2nd beetle that has done the same exact thing. The first was 2001 1.8 turbo which was wrecked before we could figure out the problem,, now this one with a completely different engine does the same thing. Don't have the money to throw parts at it till one works so trying to get some suggestions. Thank you
So what was the problem with the 1.8t?

Although the have different engines, the fuel tank and pump set up are likely very similar or even the same.

I would at least replace the fuel filter as mentioned and it might be worth just replacing the fuel pump given the age of the vehicle.

The fuel sending unit could be off and/or the fuel sock/strainer could have a hole in it or even fallen off the pump.

Suggest you consider replacing the completer pump/sending unit with an OEM unit.

Look at ECSTuning or BMAParts.com for the part number, then run the part number through this tool - Audi Part Number Price Comparison

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haven't had chance to go get pressure tester, kinda live out in middle of nowhere and been working 6 days a week. Have a day off coming.

I never found problem with my 1.8 because it was totaled before had a chance to figure out the problem

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
My take on cars 8 years or older, if you suspect a fuel problem, rather than bothering with fuel pressure and volume testing, just replace the fuel pump and filter.

Sometimes it is harder to find a fuel pressure tester, why buy one if you will only use it once.

Put the money toward a fuel pump and filter as it WILL fail at some point. Your car is 12-13 years old at this point, a PM fuel pump would not be a bad idea.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Also an option: Take a peek into your gas tank, too. The rubber seal can start to chip off and fall into the gas tank and when your gas gets low, the debris will start clogging the pump.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Keep the tank full ????
I see the smileys, but this is a great way to find yourself stranded by the side of the road with a car that won't run anymore. When a car is acting up like this, you need to find and fix the problem. Problems like this won't fix themselves and will often get worse with miles and/or time.

I've been putting off fixing a couple of issues on my Ford, and it's too the point now where I'm running on 7 of 8 cylinders and it's throwing a CEL when I try to start the car (bad TPS sensor). In other words, it is stuck in my driveway right now. So, I'm driving my wife's Vibe today and will have to stop by the parts store and buy a new TPS and a few spark plugs (#8 plug keeps getting fouled by oil). I really should fix the problem causing the oil fouling, but that car only has to last me another year, and plugs are cheap for that car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I see the smileys, but this is a great way to find yourself stranded by the side of the road with a car that won't run anymore. When a car is acting up like this, you need to find and fix the problem. Problems like this won't fix themselves and will often get worse with miles and/or time.

I've been putting off fixing a couple of issues on my Ford, and it's too the point now where I'm running on 7 of 8 cylinders and it's throwing a CEL when I try to start the car (bad TPS sensor). In other words, it is stuck in my driveway right now. So, I'm driving my wife's Vibe today and will have to stop by the parts store and buy a new TPS and a few spark plugs (#8 plug keeps getting fouled by oil). I really should fix the problem causing the oil fouling, but that car only has to last me another year, and plugs are cheap for that car.

I'm not stupid. So don't treat me like I am, I know it's serious. I was making light of the situation. Stop taking life too seriously.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm not stupid. So don't treat me like I am, I know it's serious. I was making light of the situation. Stop taking life too seriously.
I did say I saw the smileys, so I know you're not stupid. No offense was intended. :eek5:

It's just that I've just run into far too many other people who do not treat these issues seriously and only to find themselves stranded later. The funny thing is, they often blaming the car, which makes no sense to me. :confused:

·
1999 GLS 2.0 m/t
189 Posts
I would suggest(just a suggestion) removing the fuel pump/sending unit and looking for debris floating in the tank.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Somewhere here it was posted about the fuel pump getting hot and the gas in the tank keeps the pump cool, I went through this same thing myself, with 1/8th tank of gas. Keeping more gas in it now with no troubles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts