NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently my 2003 VW 2.0 has a very bad smell of gas inside the vehicle. It's not all the time I smell it just here and there. I looked under the hood to find nothing leaking. Also the vehicle has become more hard to get started after sitting. Sometimes take it 2 or 3 trys to get the engine fired up. I'm just a little concerned about the gas smell and was just curious if anyone else has experienced this in their beetle? Thanks for any feedback.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Obviously you have a leak which is causing both the smell and the hard starting (fuel delivery problem). You don't say when you are noticing the smell. Before you start the engine, idling, driving, etc. Leak could be anywhere from the fuel pump to the fuel injectors. You could start with the more likely places, fuel pump where it is mounted in the fuel tank, fuel filter, etc.

MORAV

·
Registered
35 Posts
Pull the lower back seat up, take off the cover and check your fuel pump. The black,rubber seal might be worn out or a line or clamp could be broken. Get someone else to turn it over while you check for leaks. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pull the lower back seat up, take off the cover and check your fuel pump. The black,rubber seal might be worn out or a line or clamp could be broken. Get someone else to turn it over while you check for leaks. Hope this helps.
well it was the fuel pump. took it to the mechanic and one of the plastic tubes coming from the pump out to the top of the gas tank had slightly split open. So new fuel pump and labor. Whole deal cost me $647 dollars. Why are these fuel delivery tubes made out of plastic instead of metal? Well it's all good as new now. Guess I can't complain 85,000 miles and this is the first major repair.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
well it was the fuel pump. took it to the mechanic and one of the plastic tubes coming from the pump out to the top of the gas tank had slightly split open. So new fuel pump and labor. Whole deal cost me $647 dollars. Why are these fuel delivery tubes made out of plastic instead of metal? Well it's all good as new now. Guess I can't complain 85,000 miles and this is the first major repair.
Ouch, they didn't charge you for vaseline or KY Jelly did they? Cause they sure didn't use any. (lol)
I see ECS has these for $318 and change (double ouch!) so I guess that is about right. About what I pay on a GM vehicle, at a GM shop, where the tank has to be replaced to do the swap, which made me think this might be a little high, esp from an independent.

So many parts are made of high grade "plastics" today. Reduces weight and typically is as durable as metal, without the corroding, rust, etc. AZ heat is especially brutal on these materials however.

M.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts