NewBeetle.org Forums banner

81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Well I received that rebuilt cylinder head from Frank this past Monday. :banana: I will for go the turbo rebuild, I had to divert funds to getting the wife's NB fixed after driving it through the high water; which she will never let me forget. :banghead:

I have updated the cost of the project now that I have the actual cost of the cylinder head rework.

Special Note: The cylinder head bolts that I removed from the cylinder are different than the replacement bolts that I received. They are 2cm (3/4") longer and they are spaced double threaded; not certain what the significance is with that. In any case I will have to get some replacements. I will keep the shorter ones as they match the ones that came out of my '98 when I did that cylinder head project.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ther are two numbers on it and they are ...

1) 0 392 020 024
2) 251 965 561 B
wow..:) that a good write up and very detail..:rolleyes: is any chance how much is cost for rebuilt the head? and do you have phone number from the place of rebuilt? because im going to rebuilt mind.. has a leak valve seals. Thank you

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
wow..:) that a good write up and very detail..:rolleyes: is any chance how much is cost for rebuilt the head? and do you have phone number from the place of rebuilt? because im going to rebuilt mind.. has a leak valve seals. Thank you
Thanks, I had Frank Irving do the cylinder head rebuild and the cost for it is on this post ...

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Go to poat 81 on the thread or on the link above your post.

franks costs are for the things he dose'nt do. He supplies all of the labor for part removal and replacement. He is a beetle fixin machine.:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
By the way..I don't know if anyone mentioned it but that tray comes out where the wipers are and it would give you like an amazing amount of room to work back there at the Turbo. I did that while I'm opening mine up..
Anyways it's a strong write up , very informative!

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
So after all is said and done !!! how much has this cost you with head rebuild and all the other smalls , here and theres :confused:
Not done yet, but my current budget re-estimate is an additional $2,000; which covers parts, tools, cleaning supplies and coffee, lots and lots of coffee. I will be putting together another cost post when I am done.

Iggysmom is correct I am doing all the labor, except for the Cylinder head rebuild.

... He is a beetle fixin machine.:)
That is an understatement!! :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
SO whats the deal with the longer bolts !? are they the correct ones? did you use them or sent them back? I'm most likely going to buy a kit also and from the pictures it looks like the same bolts as those longer ones :confused:

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
SO whats the deal with the longer bolts !? are they the correct ones? did you use them or sent them back? I'm most likely going to buy a kit also and from the pictures it looks like the same bolts as those longer ones :confused:
The shorter bolts are for the diesel cylinder head. Frank made a mistake and sent me the wrong ones. I held on to them and got the right ones.

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I finally finished the parts list; done my taxes and I have the budget together. So if I can keep my greedy paws from taking anymore parts off of it, :banghead: I actually might be driving it this summer. For now I am keeping the corrosion issues under control, just waiting on the parts.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well..I'm half way done with my head job, it did not come out as much as yours (probably in the range of 700-800) I was lucky that I found a guy on ebay with a compatible head which cost me less than 300 delivered :D. By the way the guy works at a salvage yard (but on the east coast) so if anyone needs a hookup let me know and I'll contact him cause I have his personal #.

ANYWAYS...I'm putting the Bug back together but to be honest I forgot where some of the hoses go :confused: MY BAD for not taking pictures. SO D2Bettle I need your help. I need some pictures of the hoses on the Passenger side when they are hooked up. More specific ..the fuel line hoses!! the driver side is a mess but slowly and painstakingly we'll get there on that side too!

Thank you

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Well..I'm half way done with my head job, it did not come out as much as yours (probably in the range of 700-800) I was lucky that I found a guy on ebay with a compatible head which cost me less than 300 delivered :D. By the way the guy works at a salvage yard (but on the east coast) so if anyone needs a hookup let me know and I'll contact him cause I have his personal #.

ANYWAYS...I'm putting the Bug back together but to be honest I forgot where some of the hoses go :confused: MY BAD for not taking pictures. SO D2Bettle I need your help. I need some pictures of the hoses on the Passenger side when they are hooked up. More specific ..the fuel line hoses!! the driver side is a mess but slowly and painstakingly we'll get there on that side too!

Thank you
I will take some pics of the wife's engine and post them.

81 - 100 of 140 Posts