NewBeetle.org Forums banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
And she lives!!!! Finally got every back together and gave her her first start,she started right up but had a bad idle,and was throwing misfire codes.It took me a week to figure it out after replacing all the coils,new plugs and was about to replace the mass air sensor,then I read on the net to check the pvc hoses,sure enough the line leading all the back toward the fire wall was disconnected.I plugged it in and now the car purrs like a kitten.Thanks again to D2Beetle for his in depth tutorial on replacing the head,I could of not done it with out this!:):):)

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
And she lives!!!! Finally got every back together and gave her her first start,she started right up but had a bad idle,and was throwing misfire codes.It took me a week to figure it out after replacing all the coils,new plugs and was about to replace the mass air sensor,then I read on the net to check the pvc hoses,sure enough the line leading all the back toward the fire wall was disconnected.I plugged it in and now the car purrs like a kitten.Thanks again to D2Beetle for his in depth tutorial on replacing the head,I could of not done it with out this!:):):)
Your are welcome! :D :goodjob: :banana:

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
OK, not much to update; just a lot of little stuff, cleaning, getting the mounting hardware, nuts, bolts and the like. And apparently a bird, not sure what kind, decided to make a nest in the top shelf of the door rack and have three hatchling's. :crazy: So I altered my repair activities to give them time to grow up and leave home. They have been gone a little over a week and I now have to wash the car :rant2: because of bird poop. Apparently they liked roosting on the garage door lift bar. No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #125 (Edited)
Got the bird mess cleaned up and reorganized the basement for more work space. Also I decided to move the items that came with my new 2015 NB to the basement and that came with a surprise; :scared: apparently some hornets moved in, as there was a nest (about the size of a human head) attached to the upper top left, outside portion of the door. I am allergic :eek:hnoes: to yellow jackets and the bald face hornet is in the yellow jacket family; so I called my younger brother and he was nice enough to deal with it and all it cost me was dinner and computer time.

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #128 (Edited)
Well, the time has come to move this project to the top slot in the "To-Do List", as again I am fighting nature ... I have mold and will have the pics posted later today.

Click Here for a site with mold removal instructions and yes the pic on this site, looks like my NB interior! :eek:hnoes:

Click here to see my mold pics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Awesome thread. I'm starting to complete a head rebuild/ timing belt. But due to busy schedule took a few months off. These pics will come in very handy to remember where stuff goes. Lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just wanted to say great thread and a thank you for a primer for my own project, Project Busted Beetle. Helped me navigate through some of the little questions I had.

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Things are still moving at a snails pace ...

bugst3r; not certain I get your meaning. Drowning with the tide perhaps?

For what it is worth; the nesting bird is back and has five eggs in the nest. We are tolerating each other.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is a picture of the timing belt on a 2000 1.8T Beetle I bought about 4 years ago. They (the dealer) said that all "scheduled Maintenance" had been done per the prescribed maintenance schedule and it was assumed that the timing belt was one of those items. Looking at the belt it appears to be in good shape with no cracking or any considerable wear. The car now has 141K miles on it and I bought it with about 130K miles. So what are your opinions looking at this belt? Let it ride? It's my freeway commuter running about 90 miles a day at 75 mph in no traffic.

LM

Attachments

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
There is no way to know; when or if it was ever changed. I would go ahead and do a timing belt/water pump kit. Maintenance is key on these VW's and even more so; if it is your daily driver, a bad belt, can cause thousands in damage. It can be a ticking time bomb; ANY part of the timing belt path can fail, for example, the hydraluic tensioner, then the valves will get bent. So, it could be a roller, tensioner, water pump seizure or the belt itself, can fail, causing head damage. Lately, I have been changing mine at every 6 or 7 years; the water pumps, tend to leak with bearing failure, before the belt is ready to fail.

Check out blauparts.com; for excellent high quality oem kits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did D2 finish his project? I have a 02 Beetle Turbo S that timing belt failed on and am planning on fixing it myself. - Chris

·
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Here is a picture of the timing belt on a 2000 1.8T Beetle I bought about 4 years ago. They (the dealer) said that all "scheduled Maintenance" had been done per the prescribed maintenance schedule and it was assumed that the timing belt was one of those items. Looking at the belt it appears to be in good shape with no cracking or any considerable wear. The car now has 141K miles on it and I bought it with about 130K miles. So what are your opinions looking at this belt? Let it ride? It's my freeway commuter running about 90 miles a day at 75 mph in no traffic.

LM
Looks OK, but you can see the ribbing all to easy, so I would put it on my "soon" to-do list.

121 - 140 of 140 Posts