NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Buggin Out
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have some money and I am looking to get a new diverter valve and I have narrowed it down to either a Bailey or a Forged however I cannot figure out if there is one that is better than the other? They seem to have identical performance as well as installation and OEM replication just with better built internals. Does anyone have any suggestions for one way or the other?

Thanks all.

·
Buggin Out
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do like the Samco hoses, but I dont see where that really should alter my decision for a diverter valve haha.

I hear the Forge DV is fully adjustable and can has to be maintained. Is the Bailey DV the same way or is the Bailey DV just a more adequate OEM replacement with the benefit of aftermarket strength and stability?

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
Only the Forge Race DV is adjustable -- it is not fully adjustable, you swap out springs which have a set rate. The regular Forge only has the one spring, last I checked. The Bailey is a sealed unit.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. The stock 710N will work just fine provided you boost less than 20 PSI. So if your car isn't chipped just get the newer 710N from the dealer.

·
Buggin Out
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will the 710N have an aftermarket "whoosh" sound like the Bailey or the Forged? I mean I need to replace the one that is in there, but I figured while I was at it I might as well get one of the best and also go for that sweet "whoosh" sound. Haha.

·
Keep It Real
1,734 Posts
Between the two, I like the Bailey valve and it seems to be the one that I see many tuners recommending, however I prefer the HKS SSQV with diverter setup over any of the valves out there hands down.

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
I've got a Greddy Type S in DV mode myself, which has a turnscrew, making it fully adjustable.

·
Buggin Out
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so it is starting to sound like I am leaning towards the Bailey.

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
I'm trying to find somewhere in your mods where you note that the engine has an aftermarket flash/chip. I don't. If you're car's engine is stock, there is no reason to get an aftermarket DV. The stock 710N DV ($40) is more than capable.

If you're looking for something pretty, then the one you think looks pretty.

In all honesty, it's six of one, a half dozen of the other for the popular brands. The real question is how much tweakability you want -- Bailey has zero, Forge has several springs (stepped tweakability), and some like my Greddy Type S have a turnscrew and two springs (fluid tweakability).

·
Keep It Real
1,734 Posts
The stock DV is not adequate for stock boost levels, they tend to leak and fail often, jsut ask your friendly VW or Audi techs how often they have to replace them. I have used the 06A 145 710N DV that some people are so crazy for and it began to stick, that valve is now sitting on a shelf.

Those composite valves like to fail for the following reasons:

1. The composite plastic material they are made of tends to change form at higher temperatures causing the diaphram to bind and/or leak.

2. The rubber diaphrams become weak and tear in a pretty short period of time and leak, this is caused by extreme temperatures, pressure and constant movement.

Many times they fail and you may not know it for awhile because they don't always "Honk" as a symptom of failure, they can stick open or closed or move slowly due to binding.

The Bailey, Forge, Turbo X style DV's whether ajustable or not are much better than the stock valves primarily because of the materials used to make them along with the fact that there is no rubber diaphram in them to fail.

The downside of these valves is that it is possible for charge pressure to push them open causing leakage, this is because the actual flow design is identical to the stock valve, with the exception of build materials and spring rate.

After using a number of different DV's, one of the main reasons that I finally decided to use the more difficult to install HKS SSQV is because it's design characteristics are completely different than the direct replacement upgrades.

The HKS SSQV is fully adjustable but the way the valving is arranged makes it so the charge pressure is actually pushing against the pressure release piston, the more boost pressure you feed it, the more the unit seals against leakage until de-acceleration or shifting accur.

The HKS SSQV also does away with that annoying part throttle fluttering making it much more predictable in it's operation, it doesn't just use spring tension to seal against leakage, the HKS SSQV doesn't open in the same direction that the pressure flows and this makes it a more responsive unit with far less chance of failure or leakage.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I also had a GFB Blow off valve. That was adjustable but it lmost seemed no matter how you adjusted it you still would hear a light flutter when you shifter at low speeds. I have never had that problem with my forge. Also you get sick of the Blow off valve sound every time you shift.

And hey too cold you gonna post some picks of your car on here or what? Ive been waiting ever since the old site to see what your car looks like.

·
Buggin Out
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
paultakeda said:
I'm trying to find somewhere in your mods where you note that the engine has an aftermarket flash/chip. I don't. If you're car's engine is stock
I havent chipped yet, but it is in the near future. That was part of the reason why I was looking at a new DV as opposed to the factory upgrade.

·
Keep It Real
1,734 Posts
loseph said:
I also had a GFB Blow off valve. That was adjustable but it lmost seemed no matter how you adjusted it you still would hear a light flutter when you shifter at low speeds. I have never had that problem with my forge. Also you get sick of the Blow off valve sound every time you shift.
I never get tire of the sound of pressure releasing from my engine, I've been able to create a unique quintet of toneful balanced sounds with the whine of my transmission, spool of the turbo, breathing of the intake/ exhaust and the periodic release of pressure via my HKS SSQV.

I am an SQ audio listener so none of these sound are loud enough to destroy my listening pleasure.

And hey too cold you gonna post some picks of your car on here or what? Ive been waiting ever since the old site to see what your car looks like.

Yes eventually, the car is still in the midst of under going interior and exterior surgery, progress is slow due to the nature of some of the modifications and fab work being done, sorry.

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
During the time I used the 710N it never stuck nor failed. I switched to the Greddy because of new boost levels, but the 710N, even at 19PSI, worked just fine.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
around 13,000 miles I replaced my stock DV with the 710N.. at 18,000 miles it was farting so I replaced it again. At 21,000 miles it was setting off the CEL.. so once again I replaced it with another one.. at 24,000 miles I replaced it with a Bailey and now at 37,600 miles it is still working flawlessly.

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
i think my car had 15 miles on it when i stuck my hyperboost on it lol.... i drove it straight ot kentech and got it chiped and soem other stuff put on it

·
Buggin Out
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know this thread is archaic at this point, but thought I would give everyone an update. I finally settled on the Forge "A-Line" diverter valve with full spring tuning kit.

Gotta say it was a very nice investment, the anodized black aluminum is definately the way to go. Unless you are looking for it, you would barely even notice it's in there which is exactly what I was looking.

I just wanted to thank all you guys for you input across this thread it definately helped to iron out what I wanted to do.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I had my stock DV replaced with the 710N when I had the timing belt replaced.

Do the Forge and other aftermarket DV's need periodic lubrication?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts