NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to this forum. I've had this 2001 VW Beetle, it has 97K miles on it and I've decided to make it a baja. I am starting to save money and plan on buying things to create this New Beetle Baja like a few others have.

> Diesel Geek Aluminum Skid Plate
> Metal Nerd 2 Inch Lift Kit
> VR6 Front Springs
> Jetta Wagon Rear Springs
> AT2 215/65/16 Tires

I'm getting my headliner door fabrics on my car replaced cause its falling out. Both my headlights have little plastic pieces broken in them (thanks dad lol) so they don't stay in all the way. So they're being replaced too. Gonna add some cool decals on the sides and some black/silver seat covers to match the outside.

> Pair of Headlights (Globes)
> Seat Covers
> Decals
> Headliner and Door Fabrics

In all it'll be about $1500-2000, but it'll be worth it in the end for me at least. The car will look alot better and will be easier to sell in the future due to the type of offroad community I have. :cool:

I need to find the best way to go about this. If the New Beetle community here could help point me in the right direction, I would fully appreciate the help. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
11,585 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might get some inspiration from the New Beetle "Dune" concept that was never produced by VW but has allot of great ideas... check it out here:

Volkswagen New Beetle Dune Concept

more links: new beetle dune - Google Search

Here is a link to a member here that put a lift kit on his tdi beetle: http://newbeetle.org/forums/photos-new-beetles/30751-dzlbugs-silver-arrow-2000-gls-tdi.html
haha, I've seen this many times. I appreciate it. :p Hope somebody can help me out, maybe lead me to some low priced parts or give some advice. :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
TDIer
219 Posts
How easy is it to take the 2" lift pieces in/out? if you happen to know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How easy is it to take the 2" lift pieces in/out? if you happen to know.
I have no clue, this is my first project. I plan on doing all this work over my x-mas break during the months of december and january.

I know alot of yall have probably seen the Hot Wheels Promotional Baja around the net> COOL 2001 VW BEETLE HOT WHEELS BAJA LOOK FOR SALE - YouTube

Well I got in contact with the guy who built it, he's giving me part numbers and advice on the build. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He went to the Crystal Lake show last year. Nice car! :cool: Pretty sure he said he used Land Rover parts. :cool: :D
He did, as far as the brush guard goes. But he had a cheaper way to do the lift than spending $200 on that lift kit from metal nerds. His solution is only $80 and the car gets a 4 inch lift and it'll drive the same no problem. :D

·
Registered
553 Posts
He did, as far as the brush guard goes. But he had a cheaper way to do the lift than spending $200 on that lift kit from metal nerds. His solution is only $80 and the car gets a 4 inch lift and it'll drive the same no problem. :D
Tell me! I too would like to raise my bug and don't want to spend a fortune doing it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tell me! I too would like to raise my bug and don't want to spend a fortune doing it.
I'll make sure to explain everything I do and show my budget as the build goes.

Also if anyone could lead me to a full tutorial on how to replace my headliner, that would be great :D

Hopefully it'll look similar to this when I'm done, its just an edited pic of hopeful results. It'll be higher than that though.
:cool:

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
There's a Baja New Beetle thread on the German Bug site somewhere. Thought i had it bookmarked. I'll try and find it via Google translate again :)

Lot's of info in there

:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's a Baja New Beetle thread on the German Bug site somewhere. Thought i had it bookmarked. I'll try and find it via Google translate again :)

Lot's of info in there

:)
Hope you find it, it'd be very appreciated. I need all the help I can get :D

·
TDIer
219 Posts
That pic looks great, ever think of adding a snorkel?

·
Everett Street in May
3,204 Posts
You should check out StudBug. Rally winning beetle
MadMike had StudBug but it was built for Rallyes and not for baja.

Very different suspension set-up's, axel requirements and differential issues to concur between the two.

I remember some folks in NM or AZ on here that had gone the lift kit route, but they were not full on baja set-up's.

Can't wait to see this project get started, sounds like a lot of fun.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Everett Street in May
3,204 Posts
This is the only Baja bug worth discussing. :D

New Beetle PR • Ver Tema - New Bug Baja
WOW!!!! That is a crazy full-on Baja bug. Do you see the rear suspension set-up on that???

Looks like they put an old air-cooled engine into the back. That would be a fun ride to go out into the country in.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
99 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts