NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
BUSHEY
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I'm new to this forum. I thought that would share with you guys my latest project it's a nice 1998 New Beetle gl 2.0 5spd with just over 100k miles. I'm going to turn it into a Baja Bug and no I'm not just lifting the suspension and triming the fenders like the other ones that I've seen that look more like a rally car than a Baja Bug. I will keep you guys posted with updates/pictures

Attachments

·
BUSHEY
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just ordered the 2in lift kit from metalnerd.com and also ordered stock front VR6 springs and rear springs form a Jetta wagon which should give me another inch of lift. I will be runing aftermarket Jeep wheels with a 3-1/4 inch back space and 1-1/2 inch spacers(to clear the front struts)I'm going to be runing a 31in tire.

·
Probably MIA
2,799 Posts
Cool project...but 31" tires? :eek: The engine and entire driveline is going to be overstressed. Beware of your wheel bearings and other front suspension parts. They will wear out at least twice as often as normal. You may also want to look into doing a ring and pinion swap to get the revs back up.

Good luck, don't be a stranger. We want pics. ;)

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Thats what I was thinking...the stock motor and transmission. Seems you would just go V8 with a truck trannie or something to actually have the car be a daily driver and go off road.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If memory serves, VW developed a concept NB that could be driven off road but it never came to market.

The underbody needs to be a lot stiffer to take the car off road.

·
BUSHEY
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some updated pictures of the New Beetle Baja project so far I've installed the 2in spacers and rear springs from a Jetta wagon and front springs from a vr6 Jetta. the total lift is 4in rear and 3-1/2in front. The tires are 28/8/15 BFG km2 mud terains mounted on aftermarket 15x7 Jeep wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Looks good, I'm planning on doing the same thing, not sure what type of tires I will be getting. The 31's look good, but I want something a little more freeway worthy.
I've got everything I need to get the bedliner coating done on the lower sections of the bug. I'll post up pics when I get it done in the next few weeks. Too cold here to do it now!

·
BUSHEY
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks good, I'm planning on doing the same thing, not sure what type of tires I will be getting. The 31's look good, but I want something a little more freeway worthy.
I've got everything I need to get the bedliner coating done on the lower sections of the bug. I'll post up pics when I get it done in the next few weeks. Too cold here to do it now!
to run 31's you will have to make the wheel wells larger/cut the main body/chassis (not just the plastic fenders) in the front and also you will have to relocate the evap canister thats mounted in the right rear. I tired to put 31's on mine and I couldn't even turn the front wheels. the 28's was the largest size that I could get to work. also you will need to run spacers or wheels with atleast a 4in off set to clear the spring mounts on the front struts.:)

·
BUSHEY
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just crashed the Baja Beetle when I skided on a patch of ice and than hit a concrete retaining wall head first. It still drives but the frame is bent/everthing in the front is pulled to the left a few inches :(
well I'm looking for front end parts so if anyone has any parts cars in or around chattanooga tn let me know.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
oh man! NO! NOOOO!!!!! :(

We had some Jettas in the Clayton yard, will you need a subframe? If so I can pull one, they run $85 I think from our yard. I replaced mine on my 98.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts