VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up this 1999 cyber green TDI this past Monday. I thought with all of my commuting lately, and the fact that Gizmo is a bit of a babied car (and somewhat of a project), I should get a second one to help keep the km's down and to use as a winter beater. Introducing: Barry Gusey! :p

The engine has approximately 320,000 km on it, which means it's a baby! It seems well-taken care of mechanically, as it drives beautifully! It even has a new injection pump. We drove it over 200km the day I bought it, and it didn't skip a beat! The owner was selling because he thought the turbo was dying, but it's just one of the turbo intake hose(?? Some kind of turbo hose, I don't remember) is split, which is easy to replace. It'll also probably need brakes and tires.

The bad: clear bra on the hood is a bit discoloured and looks awful - planning on taking that off. Some rust on the rockers and doors - not a huge deal. We'll patch it up whenever. We know the paint would be near impossible to match because it has faded a bit, so we're thinking of maybe doing the rockers in gunmetal grey. It would be a nice contrast, and better than different shades of green! Maybe lift it for the winter, too...

It was a STEAL at $650! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Gizmo and Barry together!

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...having difficulty uploading more than one picture at a time using my phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Looks like the car; had a bra on it? @ $650, it wouldn't take long to have a backyard full of New Beetles! Things are getting very cheap now; maybe, they will start giving them away soon? :confused:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it's one of those clear bras that's still on it. Gonna remove it soon! Beetles over here are pretty cheap, but have the typical Canadian rust.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Barry looks great! I wish Yort was only $650!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Squee!

Barry with the clear bra off, thanks to the lovely boyfriend! <3

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Dude so much better! Minus the paint fade of course but hey he's old! Looks like he's got a few bugs in his teeth lol :crazy:

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
Wow Zoe!
Barry was a steal of a deal. You can't find parts cars for $650.00!
The ol boy cleaned up pretty good too; polished headlights, clear bra gone...nice.
Congrats on Barry. Keep the pics coming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, guys. Barry still needs a good detailing, but I'm super pleased with the headlights and clear bra gone. I'm spoiled!

With a new job coming up, the diesel is much needed! :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Barry got a lot of love on Friday! He cleans up really well. We're so spoiled!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
I think Barry is the spoiled one! He's looking pretty good now, just gotta take care of all the rust spots.

·
High mileage driver found
268 Posts
Thanks, Squee!

Barry with the clear bra off, thanks to the lovely boyfriend! <3
Hehehe... my driveway looks like a dealership.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Long update for Barry!

Barry has been a pretty great car! Since July, I've put on nearly 40,000km and there hasn't been too many issues that have creeped up. It's needed an ignition switch, starter, and a bunch of coolant hoses. Every time something breaks, it's a coolant leak! Barry just wants to be aircooled. :p

As a "last hurrah", we entered Barry into an all-night rally. We put on Tiguan tires, Hella rally lights, and some stickers (+15hp!). Barry absolutely LOVED IT, and he was a champ! Unfortunately we had to quit early because of a coolant leak.

The sad news - Barry will be "replaced" with a 2003 Jetta wagon TDI. Barry needs a lot of little things and it's not really worth it. A wagon will be very practical for the future. :)

I STILL HAVE A BEETLE, GUYS.
And were probably keeping Barry for parts. And maybe another rally. :)

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts