NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just checking out The Cheat's profile and realized he plays bass. (What kinda freaked me out is that we are both named Justin and enjoy playing bass!):cool:

This got me curious about how many of us Org'ers enjoy playing the bottom end. No, not THAT bottom end! :D

Post pics of you have any, or at least tell us what you play musically and guitar wise!

I'll start.....I started playing bass in '92. I had just gotten to my first Navy duty station and the squadron was out at sea at the time, and I was looking for something to do. I went to a local pawn shop and bought a fretless Fender Precision bass. (Turns out it was in pretty good shape for a '77)

I have played in 3 bands, though only done shows with one of those. I currently hold down the bottom end for Bone. (Be sure to visit the download section for several demo's, including a cover of the Cranberries "Zombie") I have been a Metalhead/Rock and Roller for many years, so that is what I usually play. Some of my favorite bands for playing along with are the Chili Peppers, Primus/ Les Claypool, Rammstein, White Zombie/Rob Zombie, Type O Negative, Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, a bit of Pearl Jam, and on and on... .

I have owned 7 basses over the years, though I only have 2 now. I currently have a black Ibanez EDB-405 5-string and my baby, a Custom Koa and maple Carvin LB-76 6-string bass that I bought from the factory in '94. (I also have a brand new red Tradition MA-31 guitar that I am learning on.)

So what do you have?

Attachments

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
I actually play fretless bass (a la Jaco Pastorius), and a lot of my friends don't get it. They look at me weird when I bust it out and rip off some Weather Report. Yeah, I have a jazz background (all-state tenor 11th, lead 12th), and I've always had a fascination with the bass since I can remember. I picked it up in August of 2001, fresh out of high school. A buddy of mine had an old Fender fretless he was getting rid of, so I figured what the hell, and I gave him $250 for the bass and some lessons. Still playing that same bass now, and a couple of buddies and I have a little band, name TBD. We play a lot of everything...including a SWEET cover of Gin And Juice with me doing the rap. :D

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I've played double bass and bass guitar since 1976... My grandfather played tuba and double bass with the Shrine Circus Band, so "it's in my blood"!

There used to be a guy on here who played string bass and showed how it would fit in his NB! That's talent! Mine used to fit just fine in my '63 Cadillac ElDorado when I was going to High School.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Let me add to the freakiness:

My name is also Justin and I've played bass since 1990.

I started with a 3/4 student Fender Jazz bass in sunburst orange. I "borrowed" it from a female friend who lost some of my stuff... so she just never bothered to ask for her guitar back.

I had an awful Peavy T-40 for a while... what a gigantic heavy piece of poo. And now I have a completely overpriced Peavey Cirrus... it looks a lot like your 6 string.

And let me also mention influences... Les Claypool is my hero. Which is why I'm incredibly jealous of your 6 string. I also like Victor Wooten and Mike Watt (fIREHOSE, Minutemen, solo stuff, etc.)

I've never played live... can't seem to get a band together. Might find someone who plays guitar and we jam for a while, try to find a drummer but no one's schedule ever matches. I live sort of in the boonies so that is part of the problem. Once I move closer into Atlanta I should be able to get something together.

So there! :p

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
The Cheat said:
Oh, my bad.

That's awesome that your cat's name is Jaco. :bigthumb:
All of my pets have been named after jazz musicians. Jaco is the only one I still have, but I have previously had pets named Miles, Thelonius, Mingus, and Parker.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
jcroft said:
All of my pets have been named after jazz musicians. Jaco is the only one I still have, but I have previously had pets named Miles, Thelonius, Mingus, and Parker.
You. Rock.

Miles and Coltrane are two HUGE influences on my playing, as is Jaco. :)

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
sorry it took so long for me to post, but heres my bass:

a Peavey Milestone IV. (yes thats the inspection sticker on the pick guard still. i haven't found a reason to take the protective plastic film off it yet.)

and hiding oh so inconspicuously under my bed:

Fender Rumble 60 combo.

I'm technically not allowed to have it in the dorm, but if i keep it unplugged, i can say i'm just storing it, and the safety inspectors go on about their marry way. Plus, i know an RA who plays bass too and he said not to even worry about it.

I just started learning at the end of this summer. I've got a few songs down cold (learning from tabs), and i'm starting to get used to how things normally progress (better at improvising and such). i do not, however, yet know which notes are where and such, but give it time.

as far as what kind of music im into, i've figured out that its anything that can have the word "rock" in it. pop-rock, alternative rock, classic rock, punk rock, you get the idea.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
I'm not a master when it comes to the strings but I have an array of low end strings on my synth.
I've been playing piano/synth since '84. My first love is slappin a good drum kit though. Other than playing the T-bone in high school, it was the kit where I really cut my musical teeth. My synth is quasi-old school...KORG 01/Wfd. it's seen a few birthdays but it still rocks. Next on the list is either a KORG Triton Studio or a KORG OASYS.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts