NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wifes winter car 2004 beetle the battery went dead and we cant unlock the door. Key fob nor any key work in the switch or key hole drivers door. No key hole passenger door the emblem on the trunk doesn't move to show a hidden key hole and hood is closed Does anyone have any suggestions Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
door unlock battery dead

Vw said the driver door key turned a microswitch that unlocked the door electrically and there was no mechanical link to the locking mechanism they say to squeeze my arm up between the fans and unlock hood with my finger Just haven't been able to do that to close to the ground no hoist etc will bring a floor jack from work and try that My arm my be too big any other sugg Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Vw said the driver door key turned a microswitch that unlocked the door electrically and there was no mechanical link to the locking mechanism they say to squeeze my arm up between the fans and unlock hood with my finger Just haven't been able to do that to close to the ground no hoist etc will bring a floor jack from work and try that My arm my be too big any other sugg Thanks
Yes, your right about the microswitch, I believe. Dumb 'ole me! VW :banghead: I believe the solution is in the post that I gave you the link to in my post above. Left click on the underlined link.Note that is the passenger door, it may be different on the driver's door, but no matter, when you're in, your in. You just need to get the hood open to install a new battery.

MORAV

·
Registered
15 Posts
you can always open the door by turning the key just turn it further then te light resistance you feel
other wise open your trunk with the key

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
you can always open the door by turning the key just turn it further then te light resistance you feel
other wise open your trunk with the key
OPer says he can't access the rear, it's an '04, don't know if NB or NBC, so it may not have one. VW says the doors can't be opened as you describe, as the locks are microswitch only. Turning the key further, as you say, puts the windows up or down in mine. But I'm all over what you posted in the other thread.

Edit: Perhaps you have manual windows?

M.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dead battery

My wifes 04 is a new beetle the 10 is a convertible both are the bright yellow There is no key hole on the trunck or hood Can't rotate or m slide the emblem to get one I will check out the thread you sent me Does that open a locked door Thanks Dave

·
Registered
266 Posts
My wifes 04 is a new beetle the 10 is a convertible both are the bright yellow There is no key hole on the trunck or hood Can't rotate or m slide the emblem to get one I will check out the thread you sent me Does that open a locked door Thanks Dave
Mine 2002 is the same, no physical cylinder in the trunk! Also I've taken the door apart once. There are just two microswitches so it is possible to open the door with a screwdriver (when battery is alive) while cylinder is removed. No further movement is possible unless one wants to break something.

beetlejuice1 what are you driving that does that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Car now unlocked

I jacked the car up and reached up between the fans and pushed the hood opener After the hood was open I boosted the car with the booster on the keys unlocked the car no problem I think I could have hooked the booster to the starter and had the key work as well. I am going to run 2 wires down from the battery and tye them up underneath then I can hook up a trickle charger to them if this ever happens again Thanks for your help

·
Registered
72 Posts
After they put the immo chips in keys the trunk key went away on the beetle. It's used to reset the alarm in the case that you don't have a remote since the key isn't chipped the car can't distinguish theft vs normal driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts