VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a 2.0 automatic that is making me want to drive her off a cliff...if she will start that is. I took her in to get the water pump/timing kit done. Took him 3 weeks because she kept overheating. I drive her home NO PROBLEMS when she was done. I go to start her the next day and the battery was so dead I might as well of not had one. We jumped her and she idled so low that without help she stalled. After 15 minutes (no codes either) she was able to idle where she usually was and I drove her for about 20 minutes, no codes. An hour later the battery was drained again. No start. Today after running her for 30 minutes the CEL came on throwing P0171 (System too lean bank 1) & P0341 (Camshaft position sensor A) (Camshaft isn't new, but only came on about a month ago).

We checked the alternator and battery are just fine. I can't tell where/what is draining it. Any ideas of what could cause this??

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Here is my DIY on testing parasitic drain:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...0356-how-test-parasitic-drain-new-beetle.html

A common issue is the stereo amplifier in the trunk if you have the Monsoon sound system.

When the battery drains down completely for a period of hours or more, the throttle body will loose its calibration and no longer be able to adjust the idle speed properly. The cruise control won't work either. You can fix it by simply turning the ignition switch to run without starting the engine and leave it there for 30 seconds. Turn the ignition off and you should be OK after that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I do not have an amplifier in the trunk. We ended up trickle-charging the battery over night and I haven't seen any problems yet. I am notorious for accidently leaving my running lights on during the day and after she sat in the shop for 3-weeks without actually moving, I wonder if it was just too low to get a good charge?

The rough idle is still happening. I have only driven her twice for roughly 30 minutes each. Each time I turn her over she starts better and better but still doesn't feel as smooth as I remember. I did the wait 30 seconds - twice - but my cruise control isn't working as of this morning. Does that take more time to reset?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
The 30-second key on process is to accomplish what is known as "throttle body adaption." It teaches the computer where the end of travel for the throttle valve is for both purposes of setting the idle speed and running the cruise control. The cruise control won't work until you have successfully adapted the throttle body.

You should check the battery voltage both engine off and engine on. It should be around 12.5 engine off if the battery is charged. It should be over 14 with the engine on if the alternator is properly charging the battery.

The battery voltage probably needs to be good before the computer will allow the throttle body adaption to take place. Also, be sure to turn the key all the way to the "run" position, where it would be after starting the car. With the hood open you should hear a humming noise come from the throttle body during part of the 30 seconds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.