NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Recently my cooling fans and AC went out (sporadic ac clutch engagement) so I went to the obvious, the fuse box on the top of the battery. It looks fine and shows no signs of melting anywhere. However, I tested the resistance anyway in case there was internal melting that I could not see. To my surprise connecting any of the fuses to each other with my multimeter or to any of the three outputs showed zero to little resistance to each other. So, is this normal? It would seem not.

If what I am asking is confusing, basically this:
S179 to S178 shows no resistance to each other.
S179 to S180 shows no resistance to each other.
So, obviously the same applies to S178 and S180.
Also, the output pins are the same way, no resistance to each other or to any of the fuses.

Basically, they are all connected to one another internally, so either something is up inside this fuse box, or this is the way it comes which doesn't make any sense to me, as if one fuse blows there will still be power to everything (fans, abs). Why have three fuses on the same input going to 3 different sources?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind I'm getting senile. Removed Fuses no longer an issues, derp. Guess I'm moving on to the fan control unit.

·
Registered
11,885 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
fuse box

Depends from what reference point you are using the other multimeter lead. Put your black lead of the meter on the chassis of car or negative post of the battery(same spot) then measure with the red lead to different spots or outputs of the fusebox. I would remove the plug where the three green 30A fuses go and measure there to see if you have the battery voltage. I have found out that some of those fusebox tend to melt inside or break inside the box where you can't see it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts