NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's 2002 turbo beetle has an intermittent problem with the battery discharging every three or four days. I had the car running in the driveway for an hour and no problem. I turned it off and restarted the motor and the battery light came on. I turned it off and back on and the light was not on. It has a new alternator and battery in it already. I beleive my son even took the alternator back and exchanged it for another new one just to make sure it wasn't the alternator. The battery is a month old. Could someone tell me how many different ways there are to trigger this battery light to come on. I had all the instrument lights come on and off one time when I started it, but just that once. I welcome all suggestions no matter how crazy they might be. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The alternator or alternator wiring issues. Perhaps an issue with the serpentine belt, since you have had it off. Maybe a bad tensioner. It does not monitor the battery.
The Owner's Manual explanation from the '02 manual is below. It is a very simple circuit, battery, fuse block, and alternator, that is all that is in it. Very easy to diagnose. For a good read of your problem, go here -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/52338-morav-needs-some-help-helping-someone-else-org-battery-fuse-box-issue.html

MORAV

Attachments

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
I have read that faulty ignition switches can cause battery drains.

I've never heard that before... I just replaced mine and now my interior lights don't turn on when I pull the key out. They used to before I replaced the switch.. car still cranks slow and almosr doesn't start.. what are the odds I got a bad switch? :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for reading the post. I have been thinking it could be the ignition switch, really loose with the key in it. Also my son had some kind of problem getting the alternator in. I won't be able to check either until Sunday due to the weather. Thanks again guys for the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I've never heard that before... I just replaced mine and now my interior lights don't turn on when I pull the key out. They used to before I replaced the switch.. car still cranks slow and almosr doesn't start.. what are the odds I got a bad switch? :confused:
The odds are it isn't/wasn't the switch. More info on the initial symptoms, for help O R.

M.

·
Registered
6 Posts
a short will cause battery drain

my battery drained in 2 days or so and for 3 months i couldnt figure out why. turns out to be 2 shorts in the car. one was the seat heater and another one the interior lights. i replaced the starter,alternator, and the battery and the replies i got for my thread were always "it might be new but its faulty" which wasnt true :mad:. the solution is so simple thanks to Youtube :p first check if there is a short before you spend lots of money, like i did, for nothing

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
my battery drained in 2 days or so and for 3 months i couldnt figure out why. turns out to be 2 shorts in the car. one was the seat heater and another one the interior lights. i replaced the starter,alternator, and the battery and the replies i got for my thread were always "it might be new but its faulty" which wasnt true :mad:. the solution is so simple thanks to Youtube :p first check if there is a short before you spend lots of money, like i did, for nothing
I had originally suggested it was the alternator because of the OPer's note that the battery light had come on briefly which indicates an alternator malfunction, which would suggest the battery wasn't being charged properly or fully. But you are correct, a simple test of the draw on the battery can reveal an electrical short or malfunction somewhere in the vehicle. A little tougher to pinpoint those shorts. One circuit at a time, and then one component at a time when the faulty circuit is found.

M.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts