NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys:

I have a problem with my nb 2003. Few days ago the abs and the battery light turn on. Few minutes later my car turn off and when i try to turn on the battery seems died. 10 minutes later the car turn on but the battery light on the board was flashing. I thought was the alternator that was dead, but the alternator and the battery was ok. The fuse box on top of the battery was a little bad, but not at all. The aluminium that connect the black wire with the aluminium bar upside the box was broken.So i bought the box brand new but now the car dont turn on. With the old fuse box the car turn on but with the abs and battery light on. So i dont know what is wrong now. Idk if the new fuse box was bad or is not the right one, because is not exactly the same. Idk what to do. Please someone tell me what can i do?....thanks to everyone:(

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
First, it is the "generator" light, not the battery light. And no, I don't know why they call it a generator light, generators haven't been used since the late '50s or early '60s. The OM doesn't address whether it is a constant on or a flashing but indicates a loose belt of fault in the wiring system. The alternator output from the alternator is not sufficient or non-existentent. The black wire you are refering to IS the wire serviving the alternator. The aluminujm bar that connects... I'm confused. Do you mean the steel fuse had blown? (Old skool we called these fusible links although that actually refers to a thinner guage wire within the circuit today, used for the same purpose). How did you determine the battery and alternator to be good. The alternator has to be tested with a load test. Probably wasn't and isn't anything wrong with the fuse box you installed, it's not the fuse boxes that go bad, it's the wiring, resulting in melting the fuse box. At best, you have a bad alternator lead at this point, but there well may be a cause, that also needs to be addressed.

I would suggest you read through this thread and all the links it contains. It is a very educational thread. -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/52338-morav-needs-some-help-helping-someone-else-org-battery-fuse-box-issue.html?highlight=fuse+box

That first pic look anything like yours?

You are going to need to read through these links if you are going to attempt a diagnosis yourself. There is no one answer for the problem, no magic fix, but you are going to have to at least replace the alternator lead, and that is covered in the thread.

Electrical Testing

Voltage Drop Test
Voltage Drop Testing

Alternator Voltage Drop Testing (excellent)
Alternator Voltage Drop Test

Alternator Amperage Output Testing
Alternator & Charging System Checks (Alternator Testing)

Starter Voltage Drop Testing (excellent) - NOT FOR THIS PROBLEM
Starter Voltage Drop Test

Multimeter usage
THE BEST Multimeter tutorial (HD) - YouTube

If you need more help after reading about the issue, and the diagnosis, post up, always here to help.

MORAV

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply. the alternator and the battery was tested @ pepboys and both pass the test. Tomorrow i will take the photos to show you the aluminium bar in the fuse box. Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts