NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
im gonna change the batt today, i can take some more pics of the little details and postem here so mods can add them to the how to....

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
you removed the 10mm from the power steering not the brake fluid silly. and it's a 13mm in front of the battery. glad you got it back together, my blown tire ordeal made me hate vw's for the day.

jd

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
007 said:
you removed the 10mm from the power steering not the brake fluid silly. and it's a 13mm in front of the battery. glad you got it back together, my blown tire ordeal made me hate vw's for the day.

jd
A 14mm worked though. :ha:
Thanks - editted that so I don't look like a complete idiot!

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
thats what i'm here for....

jd

·
Registered
41 Posts
hey my pics didnt work, were too dark, but i can tell that you only need the 10 and 14 mm sockets with an extension...
the removal of the batt its a bit tricky, you have to tilt it to the right (drivers side) to be able to extract it....
the detail i saw was to be careful with the removal of the plastic shroud that covers the batt...it has two plastic tabs that the steering fluid tank guides on, and are very fragile...you have to move the st. fl. tank to the rear of the car to release it form the guides, sice theyre angled tho the back of the car, then just tilt the batt to the drivers side and support it from the bottom, and out...
to place it again, just reverse the steps...and dont tighten the 14 mm bolt until you are sure the 10 mm screw aligns with its nut that´s soldered in place...piece of cake....
sorry again for the pics...
oh! once youre there, clean all the debris thats stuck under the battery and wash the plastic shroud with soapy water...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Group 34 vs Group 34R vs Group 35

I know people have varying degrees of success with installing these 3 kinds of batteries into the Bug. Having recently installed a Group 35 Optima Red Top into my Bug, however, it makes me wonder why anyone would want to use a Group 34/34R when the Group 35 is cheaper, lighter, smaller, and a better fit. At 720CCA, the Group 35 version already has more cranking amps than you'll ever need. Unlike the Group 34/34R, the electrodes of the Group 35 are in the same position as the stock battery.

-Rick

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Last battery change I had I did it at the stealership....

I bought the new OEM one, gave it to the service guys (they offered installing it for free so what do I care....

45 minutes later they were still fighting with the instalation with 2 guys!!! I AM NOT making this up....

Finally I told em the correct secuence (thats the trick) and they could finish the job.

Yeah its dificult, yeah its complicated, but 2 guys for 45 minutes GIVE ME A BREAK

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
Thanks to all who contributed to the "How-To" thread. My battery was replaced today, and I took the laptop outside for a detailed picture thread. It was a pain, to say the least, but thanks to the pictures and tips, my hubby was able to do it with minimal cursing. Thanks again! :D

And, we used 13mm.........and it's still somewhere in the engine bay.... :eek:

·
.ORG
202 Posts
But I did find that a 1/2" socket will work just fine.Didn't have to take those two bolts out on the back either. The only problem was trying to get the power steering bolt back in. Oh yeah the tire shop I bought from wanted 45 dollars to put it in , he said it take about 45 minute to a hour,it took me about a half hour. I said I'll try anything once.:D SO Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
101 Posts
OurFirstBug said:
DO you need a vag-com to reset throttle on a 2002 1.8t when you change out the battery?
Only if the battery goes dead and it sits for a few weeks. Do it with a VAG..
U CAN turn key on slowy press gas peddle down hold for 30 sec. Slowly let peddle back up. turn key off
they hope it starts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So again I remember why I bought the lift. I changed the battery last night after work in the wifes '99 Bug, and the first 2 times that the battery hold-down plate fell off the ledge it came out the bottom with a little coaxing. ;) But the 3rd time, it got hung up somewhere not to be easily found.:confused: So this morning I backed the '77 off the lift, and put the '99 up in the air for a better look. Boy there is so much stuff tucked in underneath the battery tray, it is not funny. But I did finally find the hold-down wedged in, and was able to get out. This time it went right into place. I should have waited, and did the job in the daylight.

·
Beetle driver since '73
60 Posts
How To?! Daughter's 2000 NB GLS battery finally died. After getting a jump in sub-zero cold, drive straignt to Sears, and have them install a new battery.

·
Registered
32 Posts
IF I understand correctly, a '00 NB 1.8 uses a 47 series battery, while the tdi's use a 48. I think I want to put in a 48, but was wondering if anyone knows if they all use the same battery box (or if I have to remove the box and put the battery in "bare".

edited....this can't be right....47 and 48 are 3" diff in length

·
Registered
7 Posts
Carphunter said:
IF I understand correctly, a '00 NB 1.8 uses a 47 series battery, while the tdi's use a 48. I think I want to put in a 48, but was wondering if anyone knows if they all use the same battery box (or if I have to remove the box and put the battery in "bare".

edited....this can't be right....47 and 48 are 3" diff in length
I am not sure what a 47-series battery is. But the Optima RedTop that I bought is a Group 35 battery, and it is perfectly sized for the factory battery box.

-Rick

1 - 20 of 47 Posts