1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How-To by inivid
How to replace your battery

How to replace your battery. For real.

so i just replaced the battery in my glx. what's the big deal? i searched and printed out some random "how to" post and it was totally off compared to how it is really done. so....here goes my how to.

there are only 2 bolts and 2 nuts to remove the battery.

bolt one (10mm).....the left front corner of the batt. shroud. the shroud then pulls out very easily. it's only held in at three points: the forementioned corner screw and two easy pull-to-release clamps similar to the rearmost engine shroud attachment. one is located left-rear-bottom and the other is front-right-bottom. very easy to remove.

bolt two (14mm).....located at the center front of the battery. this loosens the the retaining plate to remove the battery itself.

both nuts of course are on the batt. terminals and are loosened with the factory supplied wrench that's in the boot of your car.

undo the batt. and flip it up on end to take it out. just remove the velcro-laden sheild from the old batt. and put in on the new one and then installing is the same only in reverse.

this is stupid easy and took me only 15min. as opposed to someone saying it took them an hour. hope this is pretty clear and is helpful to everyone.

Afternote:
BlueThunder-
Thanks for your battery replacement how-to it was just as described exxcept you need at least a 12" extention on your socket wrench and don't drop the retainer bracket..
inivid-
Oh, ya! *Doht!!* I totally forgot to mention the extention! Thanks for mentioning it. An extetion is a must! As well as not dropping anything in the engine. haha

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
I just had to replace my battery on my 2002 TDI and noticed a few differences that I thought it would be good if I documented it in case someone else needs to see the differences of a TDI.

Need:
10mm
14mm
12" socket extension
magnet wand

(Now I took the pics while installing so you will see the new battery in the pics)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remove the battery terminals using 10mm sockets.

Next remove the bolt on the front center of the battery - it's a 14mm bolt and there is a black plate underneath it - be very careful and if you have a magnetic wand/rod - attach it to the plate before you completely release the 14mm bolt. Carefully pull both plate and bolt out...they tend to like falling in areas you can't see.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Remove 10mm bolt at the left front of the battery.
Then remove the 10mm bolt that is attaching the Power Steering Fluid resevoir and positive cable in place so you can have room to rotate the battery and remove later.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are two more 10mm bolts on the back of the battery that hold the fuse terminal in place and also restrict the battery in place. Remove them as well. (I have an extra screw hole shown because my airbox has been removed for my CAI)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't take a picture of this, but you can now rotate the battery from left to right pulling it out from underneath the fender at the same time and take the battery out sideways.

I did take a photo of the battery support to show all the parts moved out of the way - you can also see that the base is held on by 4 10mm bolts - I removed mine and cleaned the corrosion that had developed on the neg terminal then flaked down below the battery to prevent future rust.

Then you can slide the battery out of the protective sleeve.

Also shown are all the bolts and plate that are removed.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
replace in opposite order...be especially carefull when replacing the front plate and 14mm bolt - utilize magnetic wand again and try to get the bolt in place before using the 12" socket extension so you don't lose the parts in the abyss of your engine.

Here is the battery replacement I got - 700 Cold Cranking Amps and a perfect fit.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts