VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the winter temps hit Canada, for some reason my nb wouldn't start this morning. It cranked for about 10 seconds and didn't fire. Tried it again for another 10, didn't fire. On the third try after letting the starter cool, the battery went dead.

After a boost for some reason it decided to fire, however after looking at the battery I see it's probably the VW original. It looks non servicable and the window where the green eye should be is black so I'm thinking about changing it.

Having a look at it though, is getting the old one out and a new one in a problem? I'm looking at the driver's side fender and it looks like there isn't enough clearance to actually get the battery out.

I have to admit, I like the look of the nb, and it's fun to drive, but mechanically it seems to be quite the lemon. I've been through check engine lights, water pumps, timing belts.. you name it. For a car that only get's about 10 thousand clicks a year, it should be more reliable. Getting in it in the morning and turning the key is almost becoming like pulling the handle on a slot machine. I just never know what I'm going to get.

bent

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Remov the airbox and the battery wiggles out that way. To remove the airbox remove the hose clamps and the 2 10mm bolts that hold it down. (one in back, one up front way down you'll need an extension. (careful not to lose it) )

That was the 'easy' way to do it I believe.

There's a couple bolts, but not many.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
To make the job a little bit easier, after you remove the battery blanket and battery box, move the power steering fluid tank out of the way. The battery will just slide over to the left where you can lift it straight up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanx for the info guys... this forum is a major help. :D

... I anticipated more trouble than it actually was. The battery change went fine. Removing the power steering tank was super easy (one bolt) and the rest of it is pretty straight forward. I'm hoping all I needed was a battery. I checked the voltage when the car was running and was getting about 14.2 volts so I'm assuming the alternator is working fine.

Without this forum, getting that battery out would have been a bit if a guessing game. It certainly saved me a lot of frustration.

Thanx again

bent

1 - 4 of 4 Posts