NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Re-Member?
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching HID retrofits in stock NB Housings. It seems the proper way to do it is either find TurboS OEM housings and set up or retrofit a proper projector.
The popular ones I see are FX or Mini Projectors or TT ones (too old for my tastes). But these are both Bixenons from what I understand.

Is there an easily available projector that is a single xenon? I'd like to keep my factory high beam.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I've been researching HID retrofits in stock NB Housings. It seems the proper way to do it is either find TurboS OEM housings and set up or retrofit a proper projector.
The popular ones I see are FX or Mini Projectors or TT ones (too old for my tastes). But these are both Bixenons from what I understand.

Is there an easily available projector that is a single xenon? I'd like to keep my factory high beam.

Thanks.
Personally, I would just get a HID kit and install it in your present Projectors. They aren't really that bad. The cut offs are good and they don't seem to blind people like in some applications. I would stay away from 6000K or above which just look stupidly blue and really diminish the light output of HID's. I would stick with 4300-5000k range for the cleanest light. Check out threads by Opelmania and others which have done the conversion with great success. You can keep your brights. Just swap out the lows with the HID's
The only thing you should disable are the DRLs. I don't think you can run the HID's as DRLs since the ballasts need the full voltage to run.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i put 6k's in my wifes car after polishing the headlights for her. If i couldve done it over, i wouldve went 5k...but oh well. the halogen projectors do a decent job of cutting off the light. i plan on getting the euro lenses for my a4 and putting the NA spec lenses from my a4 and putting them in the beetle for a better result though. heres some shots if youre wondering.

sorry theyre all daytime shots.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts