VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, many threads on this.
both ecs and fcp list many options for coils / coil and plug sets. I need sugestion as to which would be best, 2002 1.8t AWP (turbo S). VCDS shows random misfires and intermitant high idle, could the high idle be caused by downshifting for brakeing coming off the freeway? relatively long run with throttle closed and still pulling 1.5-2K + rpm

·
5/23/10 <3
11,452 Posts
What are the code numbers you are getting? Have you replaced spark plugs? Checked for vacuum leaks?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi there,

I have also dealt with random misfires on the three
1.8t cars in my family, not to mention friends I’ve helped.

I will always start checking spark plug health. Wear, uneven gaps and sometimes even incorrect plugs are easy to inspect across all four cylinders. Low-quality coilpacks and incorrect plugs seem to be quite common with newly-purchased used cars.

I’ll follow up with labeling each coil pack with its original cylinder number, then swapping cylinder positions to see if the misfiring shifts. If the misfiring remains the same cylinders as before, then I look at the coil pack harness.

Check the coil pack connectors for bent pins and the whole harness for damaged wire insulation and copper corrosion- don’t be afraid to peel back the factory electrical tape to get better access, focusing on the areas that get the most heat during driving and flexion during engine maintenance.

Hope that helps! Please keep us updated with your progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fault codes:
P0300
P0301
P0303
Po302
P0507
I think my son changed plugs and coils a couple years ago, probably with autoZone stuff. The car was my grand daughters first car for 18000 miles - she got it from a car lot in Salem where it had been sitting for over a year.
As noted, ECS and FCP both list a bunch of coil / plug sets, figured I would change them, just not sure which the most reliable will be. Turbo is now my project "garage queen" when I get around to it rig
Turbo has quite a few issues that over time will be worked out, only has 246000 miles on the clock (my explorer has 325000+)

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
Autozone, typically sells their house brand coils; which tends to be be failure prone Chinese aftermarket junk and spark plugs, whatever you choose or is in stock (stick with oem high quality NGK).

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
For coil packs, i have purchased genuine vw coils, from my vw dealer (needed them right away); vw has used a number of oems over the years, currently Bremi seems to be the supplier and so, you could save some $ buying their branded oem coils (about 50% leas then the genuine vw parts). I always recommend fcpeuro; if you can wait for them to be shipped to you; as they offer, a lifetime warranty on all the parts they sell.

·
Registered
15,930 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For coil packs, i have purchased genuine vw coils, from my vw dealer (needed them right away); vw has used a number of oems over the years, currently Bremi seems to be the supplier and so, you could save some $ buying their branded oem coils (about 50% leas then the genuine vw parts). I always recommend fcpeuro; if you can wait for them to be shipped to you; as they offer, a lifetime warranty on all the parts they sell.

There is the info I been looking for, coil and plug part numbers, thank you. Ran NGK plugs in my 59 ghia 36 hp and again in the 62 corvair that we put in it later

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
Based upon the trouble codes and how things are running; you may have multiple issues going on. I would be checking for coil pack failures, a bad valve cover gasket, which can fill the spark plug wells full of oil, causing grounding out and killing off coil packs (mad obvious by oil soaked coil ends, spark plugs). As noted above, wiring issues and things like, coil plugs, connecters with broken plastic locking tabs; can be a common issue as well.

Using vcds and viewing the misfire counter; can be helpful to see what cylinders are misfiring in live data, real time.

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
16891/P0507/001287 - Idle Control System RPM: Higher than Expected.

Possible Causes
Throttle Valve Control Module (J338) dirty/faulty
Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Throttle Valve Control Module (J338)
Vacuum Leak
Possible Solutions
Check Throttle Valve Control Module (J338)
Check Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Throttle Valve Control Module (J338)
Check Intake System for Leaks

The fuel delievery aside of things; this maybe a issue, causing misfire problems, in addition to the typical ignition failure issues.

With over200k, doing a clean, replace the gasket and tba, would be a good thing to try. Thus would confirm that isn't a issue; see if that eliminates the high idle problem and trouble code.

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
Beyond that, i would be checking your fuel trims; which would help to determine if you have a vacuum leak or or fuel supply issue. + or - 10%; is considered in the normal range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts