NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 New Beetle that makes a loud beep noise when excellerating. It began today when I accelerated in 4th gear on the interstate. The beep was loud and seemed to come from the dash near the instrument cluster. Loud enough to startle. Since then, it occurs in 2nd gear and higher on excelleration but not all the time. It sounds like some type of warning alarm. Any clues?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I am driving a manual and, no, I did not see any lights on the dash when the loud beep (whistle) occurs.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
If its more like a whistling noise it sounds like it might be the turbo kicking in but since I dont have one Im not sure exactly how fast you need to be going before you hear the turbo. Also some people describe it as a whistle and some describe it as a whoosh noise.
Sorry..wish I could be of more help

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
could be an oil pressure warning or diverter valve going.

·
NewBeetleManiac
124 Posts
My stock diverter valve makes a honking sound sometimes, its not loud enough to startle though but its def. enough to hear. Stock diverter valves are notoriously weak and fail often.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A better description of the sound

The beep is almost exactly like the noise a smoke detector in your home makes if you press the test button. Almost that loud. When you release the accelerator or shift up it goes away until the RPMs get up to about 4000. If i really drive like an old fart and don't attempt to accelerate fast, it doesn't happen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2001 New Beetle that makes a beeping sound loud when you push in the clutch it stops
beep noise when excellerating. It began today when I accelerated in 4th gear on the interstate. The beep was loud and seemed to come from the dash near the instrument cluster. Loud enough to startle. Since then, it occurs in 2nd gear and higher on excelleration but not all the time. It sounds like some type of warning alarm. Any clues?
[/QUOTE]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts