NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i purchased a 2001 vw beetle 1.8L turbo automatic transmission with 130K miles from a family member. Since we bought the vehicle it has had some major transmission problems from which we cannot seem to fix permanently. It shifts hard from 2nd into 3rd almost to the point where it does bark the tires sometimes lol. i have taken the car to the local vw dealership 4 times. fixed all the codes that kept coming up which were. a temp sensor in the main engine compartment and 2 oxygen sensors underneath the car next to the oil pan. The hard shift tended to lighten up a little to where it was not as bad as before. now it tends to skip 2nd and 3rd and stay in a high gear until you turn the car off or manual switch to 1st gear. sometimes it evens shifts fine through 1 2 and 3rd but fails to shift into 4th at around 55 mph the rpms are at around 6k. i do not have much money and going to the dealership seems to not be helping at all. can someone please help this poor girl out! thank you so much. My Dad seems to think its a ECM problem because of being able to turn the car off and that sometimes fixes the problem till you decide to turn it off then back on. clearing codes seems to help also. very weird problem. any help at all is very appreciated. sorry for my lack of car knowledge!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
Sounds like the valve body may be giving up. Common fail point on the automatics.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the Common Trauma. Has the fluid and filter been changed?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

No. Dealership said they would charge me $300 to change it and $150 just to check it :confused: I've heard from people that if you change the fluid in it, there's always the chance that it may not run again. I've only had it for 2 months and I love it already. I just want some answers and I feel like the dealership just gives me the run around. Big sigh.....

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Assume this is a 09G 6 speed Tiptronic transmission??

Anyway, regardless of 4, 5 or 6 speed automatic the valve bodies eat themselves.

You can buy a rebuit valve body for around $500-$600 or get your reworked for around $550.

Where do you live?

You either need to do the work yourself/family member or have a LONG discussion with what ever shop you plan to use.

DO NOT GO TO AAMCO.

The problem is most trans shops pull the trans pan/valve body out then say there is metal in the pan and the entire trans needs to be rebuilt.

The issue is ALL transmission with 70-120k miles will have debris and some metal in the pan.

Look at it this way, rework the valve body, if you have to pay someone to pull and reinstall the valve body, expect between $900-$110 with fluid.

STAY away from the dealership unless they can quote you a price in the range I stated.

Pulling the valve body is rather easy, the hardest part is disconnecting all the solenoid wiring without breaking the plastic caps and marking, taking pictures of all the wiring..

I used a shop in Southern CA to rework my valve body about 7500 miles ago, very happy with their work.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
The car is an '01 so it would be the O1M.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Assume this is a 09G 6 speed Tiptronic transmission??

Anyway, regardless of 4, 5 or 6 speed automatic the valve bodies eat themselves.

You can buy a rebuit valve body for around $500-$600 or get your reworked for around $550.

Where do you live?

You either need to do the work yourself/family member or have a LONG discussion with what ever shop you plan to use.

DO NOT GO TO AAMCO.

The problem is most trans shops pull the trans pan/valve body out then say there is metal in the pan and the entire trans needs to be rebuilt.

The issue is ALL transmission with 70-120k miles will have debris and some metal in the pan.

Look at it this way, rework the valve body, if you have to pay someone to pull and reinstall the valve body, expect between $900-$110 with fluid.

STAY away from the dealership unless they can quote you a price in the range I stated.

Pulling the valve body is rather easy, the hardest part is disconnecting all the solenoid wiring without breaking the plastic caps and marking, taking pictures of all the wiring..

I used a shop in Southern CA to rework my valve body about 7500 miles ago, very happy with their work.
I live in north Georgia, very small town. And nobody seems to know anything about a vw in this area. How would I know if it is the valve body and not a computer problem?

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
They ALL have valve body problems. Also, when was the last time your timing belt/water pump/tensioner was replaced? If you don't have a record of it being done, it needs to be done tomorrow. Actually, yesterday.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
They all have valve body problems, if it is a 4 speed automatic, also the wiring hardness for the valve body also should be replaced.

Anyone that has half a brain can pull the valve body, its not that hard. About 15 bolts, some wires and a mechanical linkage connection.

Filling the trans can be a bit tricky, but of you buy the right supplies, it is actually very easy.

Anyone that can do a timing belt should be able to pull the valve body and replace it as long as they just use their head.

The 6 speed is a PITA as there are about 14 wiring connectors.

Just take pictures of the wiring, wiring path and label connections.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in north Georgia, very small town. And nobody seems to know anything about a vw in this area. How would I know if it is the valve body and not a computer problem?
I have an 04 Turbo. Replaced valve body at 90K miles. Transmission shop did it for $900. For me, when shifting down, it first feels like someone rear ended the car!

You should look for a shop that specializes in German cars--stay away from the dealer. Better yet...do yourself a favor and get rid of the car. Mine is the worst car I've ever owned. Something new wrong with it every month.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2003 VW 1.8L Turbo Beetle Transmission Issue?

I have a 2003 VW 1.8L Turbo Beetle and I have had the car for 3 years and since then I have done quite a bit of repairs on it, including new alternator, battery, timing belt, oil pan, catalytic converter and some other things.

However, lately it seems to jump when the gears shift (automatic by the way) up and down so when I'm stopping it sounds almost like it's going to stall and then it jumps and the same happens when I accelerate.

I'm just wondering what may be wrong with it and who I should go to because I don't want to pay an arm and a leg at the dealers. I love my car and only need it to last about 2-3 years more, until I'm out of school.

Any leads/suggestions would be greatly appreciate so thank you guys in advance!

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Your car probably has a 6 speed Tiptronic 09G transmission with over 70k miles on it?

The valve body needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

Rebuilt valve bodies are around $550 give or take.

New VB is about $700 or slightly more.

It takes about 2-3 hours to replace the VB and refill with fluid.

Expect to pay around $900-$1100 if you can find a shop that knows what they are doing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts