NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.0L 2001 gas beetle.

My problem is that the alarm (horn) goes off by itself. I can hear some jiggling noise in the passenger door. My Hyne manual suggests that there could be electrical connections to the alarm system in this passager door area.

Has anyone had this type of problem witht the alarm going off?

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
Hi there!

Has it been raining lately (or snowing)? My bug did that (without the rattling tho). Turned out that water was getting inside (through the third break light) and was tripping the alarm. 0_o

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In some instances when it came on it was damp outside. I have pulled a 15 amp fuse on the driver side panel and it has stopped the premature alarm, but this fuse also works the gas cap release switch, so I have to reinstall the fuse when I need to add fuel. I plan on removing the passenger door panel to see if there are any loose or worn wires causes the alarm to go to ground.

I am not familiar with the "third brake light." Where and what does this thing do?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help.

I looked at the old forums and found alot of info on this problem.

·
dub-tech.com
13 Posts
I'd be looking at the door latches. Extremely common problem causing some very screwy alarm problems. Does your dome light work correctly when it's supposed to? See dub-tech.com for an illustrated "how-to" on replacement.

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
Also, when you lock your bug ... does it meep at you? It is suppose to ... all the time (when all doors are closed). If it doesn't definatly an electrical problem. But ... you probably know that it already is. heh .. *shy*

1 - 7 of 7 Posts