NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there had any experience with child safety seats and baby capsules in the back of their beetles? As we all know there is quite a limited amount of space in the back seat. I am only guessing that the drivers seat or the passengers seat would have to come forward a fair bit. What about the anchor points in the boot? Is there any complications or hinderences to know about... many thanks

·
pixel pusher
1,059 Posts
We found that the main problem with the Beetle and a baby capsule was the car hasn't got a middle anchor point therefore the capsule will have to be on the passenger side and will push the seat quite a bit forward, that and leaning into a coupe wouldn't be all that good, so we put the capsule in my wife's Audi, it sits in the middle position and the back of the front seats steady it as well.

Hope that helps, we got given a capsule so we didn't have a bit look around for a better fitting one.

Cheers, paul (another aussie)

PS - hope that reply makes sense, writing gets a bit difficult when your 2 month old won't sleep.

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
OK, I was gonna ask "What's a baby capsule?", but I decided to google it instead. Alright, it's a carseat for little babies, until they're ready for a larger, upright carseat, right? :p

I've never heard of a baby capsule. It sounds so cute, though!:D

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
mrbeetlebrain said:
We found that the main problem with the Beetle and a baby capsule was the car hasn't got a middle anchor point therefore the capsule will have to be on the passenger side and will push the seat quite a bit forward, that and leaning into a coupe wouldn't be all that good, so we put the capsule in my wife's Audi, it sits in the middle position and the back of the front seats steady it as well.

Hope that helps, we got given a capsule so we didn't have a bit look around for a better fitting one.

Cheers, paul (another aussie)

PS - hope that reply makes sense, writing gets a bit difficult when your 2 month old won't sleep.
You have it in a nutshell, with no center anchor point, the seat needs to go behind the passenger seat. Which will require it to be moved forward a fair chunk.

As I am 6'3 and have to have the seat back a fair ways, it ended up behind my fiancee, thankfully she is only 4'9 so we were able to make it work. Crawling in and out of the back seat can be a hassle, but I found I am actually able to stand upright inside of the NB bent over at the waist with very little discomfort.

The bigger issue is the size of the trunk(boot) I had to try out 4 different strollers before I could find one to fit.

·
pixel pusher
1,059 Posts
dnyed said:
OK, I was gonna ask "What's a baby capsule?", but I decided to google it instead. Alright, it's a carseat for little babies, until they're ready for a larger, upright carseat, right? :p

I've never heard of a baby capsule. It sounds so cute, though!:D
Yeah, a baby capsule is like a little bed (the baby's head faces backward) and they have a little three point racing harness, when I put our little one in the harness I always call her "little stiggy" (the mystery racing driver off UK car show Top Gear).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Baby capsules and infant seats... dunno. I can tell you we have two forward-facing safety seats in the back of our NBC all the time without any issue. I'm 6'2" and I'm able to scoot back as much as I need to and the kids still have leg room.

The NBC only has the two lower anchors for the LATCH system seats, though, which was something of a disappointment to me.

For the hardtops, though, I've heard that the lower LATCH anchors are relatively evenly spaced... so you should be able to tether a seat in the center just fine, just use the right anchor on the driver's side and the left anchor on the passenger side (as you're facing the rear, of course). And the hardtops have the top anchor as well. I believe they make a Y strap that would allow you to attach a center-positioned seat to the two top anchors in the trunk.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
dnyed said:
I thought maybe it was to seal up a particularly smelly baby. ;)

·
Happy and Blue (1999)
1 Posts
Just an added note found on ALLData:
6905-01 JAN 05 Restraint System - 'LATCH' System Installation/Retrofit
This update applies to all New Beetles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts