NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2000 Beetle GLS that I bought recently. The other day , check engine light came on and gave me P0302 cyclinder 2 misfire and P0171 bank 1 system too lean. I resetted them and unsurprizingly they came back after about 120 miles.

I have been reading about the codes. So, P0171 may mean a lot of different things from MAF to vacuum lines. So do you guys think that P0302 is connected with the P071 code. By the way is P0302 an ignition coil problem or just the spark plug on cyclinder 2 needs a change?
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You will like get a few different responses and ways to deal with this question.

I deal with the simple & obvious issues before I proceed with replacing sensors.

Your codes are likely related. You could have 2 separate issues as well.

I would start by looking and listening under the hood for vacuum leaks. Likely broken, cracked or disconnected hoses or valves.

Could be something as simple as a crankcase leak due to a back oil fill cap, tube, dipstick as well.

You also need to pay attention to basic maintenance issues as plugs, air filter, fuel filter as well. These may not be the root cause of your problem, but many times they contribute to your issue and if you start to change and replace items you may find other problems while working on the engine.

Ignition coils can be problems, you could swap a few around ans see if the problem follows #3 coil, but I would bet you likely do not have a hard coil or sensor problem.

You really need to get your lean code solved before you start replacing sensors in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2000 Beetle GLS that I bought recently. The other day , check engine light came on and gave me P0302 cyclinder 2 misfire and P0171 bank 1 system too lean. I resetted them and unsurprizingly they came back after about 120 miles.

I have been reading about the codes. So, P0171 may mean a lot of different things from MAF to vacuum lines. So do you guys think that P0302 is connected with the P071 code. By the way is P0302 an ignition coil problem or just the spark plug on cyclinder 2 needs a change?
Thank you in advance.
What engine and transmission do you have in your beetle? How many miles on the car? When is the last time the timing belt service and water pump was replaced?
The codes may or may not be related. If you have a 2.0 and you never replaced you spark plug wires and spark plugs it is probably time to do so. If you have a 1.8 it could be you spark plug or coil pack for that cylinder. Pull you spark plugs and see how they look. Swap coil packs from another cylinder and see if the code changes. If it does it is probably the coil pack.
As far as the other code goes, take off your MAF and clean it. Over time debris and oils can build up on the sensor wire and cleaning it will help getting a proper signal restored to the ECM.
As already suggested also check for any vacuum leaks! If you still have the original cloth covered braided
Hoses, replace them they probably have dry rotted from heat and age.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Thank you in advance.
Thanks for the advice. I have a 2.0 L engine. I forgot to mention that initially. I will start with replacing the hoses with the silicone ones. Than probably go for spark plugs and wires, I do not know when was the last time those were replaced.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I have a 2.0 L engine. I forgot to mention that initially. I will start with replacing the hoses with the silicone ones. Than probably go for spark plugs and wires, I do not know when was the last time those were replaced.
In that case a new coil wouldn't be a bad idea either. It will need it eventually if it hasn't been replaced in a while. Those coils develope hairline fractures and cause misfires.

I would also check and replace your vacuum hoses and clean the MAF sensor since those items are most likely the cause of your P0172 code.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts