VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 New Beelte 2.0

It's been really cold here for the last month. We got some bad weather several days ago and my wife didn't get out. So the car sat for 2 full days without being started in 8° temperatures. Antifreeze is fine. The temps have been up to 40° since then, so things had a chance to melt and still wouldn't start. But, the temp has dropped again.

I've let a kerosene heater (and space heater) sit in front of the engine tarped over hood in my garage just to get the temps up in the engine compartment. Pulled the spark plugs, just to check since I know they haven't been changed in a while. They look fine.

All airflow lines seem to be hooked up properly. None dry rotted or cracked.

Tried jumping the battery, it seemed to be lagging when I cranked the engine 20 times. A couple times it cranked and started for 1/2 second and then died immediately. All other times I tried it, it just cranks and doesnt even start.

Also, I have been getting the grinding noise after starting. After some research it would appear the noise is caused from dust buildup when the starter engages. This can be fixed by taking out the starter and lubing the gears? But most everyone says that will never hurt the car and you don't really have to fix it unless it's just annoying you to death.

So I was wondering if this could have anything to do with why it won't start after sitting for 2 days in extreme cold?

Anyone had trouble like this before?!

No problems before it sat for 2 days in the cold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've taken the day off to try to fix this, whether it's the battery, starter, or just having it towed to an expensive mechanic. So any help would be muchly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It did, but only after repeated starts and then leaving it all night. Even then it still cranked in the morning, but drained after about the third try.

So I wasn't really thinking it was the battery. I charged it with a puny 1AMP bike charger overnight. Seemed fully charged this morning when I tried it. But, I'm taking it up to have it tested/charged now. Granted, it's an old battery and needs to be replaced - but it's been holding a charge and like I said, I had to drain it by cranking ... wasn't like it just went out and died completely on it's own.

What do you mean by "throttle body may need adapted?"

Is there a way to test the engine speed sensor? This is my wife's car. It's a 2001 2.0. I have a 2000 2.0 Golf. I would guess the Chilton's manual for mine would work for her engine, for the most part?

·
Registered
423 Posts
When power is disconnected from these cars the ecu or ecm may forget were the throttle position is at, AEG engines had a habit of not starting when the battery gets disconnected or dies. Your manual for your golf will work

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I'll go through that. I'm kinda at a loss now. I just replaced the very old battery.

It cranked (like it did before) and started for 1/2 second and died at the same time I heard the grinding noise from the starter. That happened twice. After that, I didn't hear the grinding noise after cranking, but it also did not start (even for 1/2 second).

I'm skeptical about the ECU loosing the throttle position because the battery never actually died before all this started. It only ran down after numerous attempts to crank it.

People at parts place said it sounds like a bad alternator. But, seems like if it were a bad alternator it would have drained that battery, right?

Anyway ... I'm wondering if it's not the starter itself?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll give that a try. But, I never use the pedal when starting the car, so I don't think it's flooded. Still, maybe it'll trip something with the ECU and fire the thing up.

It's my last ditch effort.

I couldn't reach the speed sensor to test the connectivity. Well, I could reach it with my finger tips and flat head, but couldn't do much other than that. I tried the raindance throttle body adaptation and that didn't work either.

I despise working on my wife's Beetle. Everything is crammed in so tight, you have to take out half the engine to change a spark plug ... unless you have super fancy tools. It's rather frustrating.

Anyway, I'll post the remedy once it's fixed. In case someone else has this same trouble. If "de-flooding" doesn't work then I'm calling a tow truck tomorrow and having the car towed to the VolksDoctor. I know it will cost me an arm and a leg, but I won't have to work in 8° temperatures all day and still not have a clue how to fix it.

Appreciate everyone's feedback on this thread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After sitting out in 8° temps for a day trying different things, I had it towed to the Volksdoctor.

Fuel pump went out. $560 to fix for parts & labor.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
After sitting out in 8° temps for a day trying different things, I had it towed to the Volksdoctor.

Fuel pump went out. $560 to fix for parts & labor.
Glad you got the problem sorted, but this sound like dealer pricing for a fuel pump job?

A Siemens/VDO OE style pump with fuel level sender is $170.45 on your doorstep.

2001 Volkswagen Beetle - Parts -MEYLE,SIEMENS/VDO- Bma Auto Parts

Pump is changed from inside the car, someone that knows how to do it can change the pump in about 30 minutes max!

I would love to hear the parts and labor breakout.

I have been preaching PM fuel pump replacement in the BMW community for years. Change the pump after at year 8 and you will not have a problem. You can change the pump on your terms and not the cars terms, leaving you stranded, having to pay for a tow and premium parts and labor.

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,471 Posts
I was just going to suggest a fuel pump. Mine went out last month, and acted the same. I got a pre-loved pump from my local salvage yard. $50 and about an hour in freezing weather.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was just going to suggest a fuel pump. Mine went out last month, and acted the same. I got a pre-loved pump from my local salvage yard. $50 and about an hour in freezing weather.

I had this same problem and took the throttle body off and cleaned it and it started instantly after this. Total cost $10.00 for throttle body cleaner 👌

1 - 13 of 13 Posts