NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my first car and it’s a beetle. The airbag light (orange) has been on for a while and now the check engine light (orange) has come on with some sort of lighting bolt going through it. The engine light did go on ond off when it felt like it but for the last two weeks it’s stayed on, another light has now come on which is an anti clockwise arrow surrounding a triangle with an explanation mark in (orange). I also have a blue temperature light that comes on randomly.
Does anybody know what these mean? And if this is normal? I have tried to look online but all the VW sites don’t have the lights I’m looking for?

·
Super Moderator
5,364 Posts
The airbag light could be the wiring for the seat belt buckle, you'd have to get it scanned to know for sure what is malfunctioning.

Check engine light as well, you'll have to get it scanned to figure out what the codes are.

The triangle with the ! and arrow around it is the traction control (ASR Automatic Slip Regulation). Either there is a problem or it's turned off.

The blue temperature light will come on and stay blue when the engine is cold. It will flash blue if it's low, and it will flash red for overheating.

·
Registered
858 Posts
The blue light is normal, when that blue light turns red you’ve got overheating problems.

The airbag light is as squeebug said, probably a seat belt buckle. There are a couple of wires that go from the buckle down the seat belt rod and under the carpet. One of them is probably broken it’s likely the drivers side however there are a number of other things that will set off the airbag light also. You really need to find someone with a vcds so they can pinpoint the exact system that is causing the light.

As far as the triangle that is probably a wheel speed sensor, however again your car has four of them and there are other causes that will illuminate that light also. A vcds will tell you exactly what’s going on and where.

The place to buy a vcds, these are the guys that developed it and offer great support if you need it. As I’ve pointed out before they are located in Pennsylvania, speak great English and often you get the owner himself on the line.

The check engine light at this point is a wild guess without a scan.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Coolant light modes:

Blue coolant light = engine cold

Flashing blue coolant light = fault in the coolant monitoring system

Flashing red coolant light = low on coolant

Steady red coolant light = engine overheating, pull over and stop engine IMMEDIATELY and do not run until the problem has been identified.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts