NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i own a 2000 new beetle gls 1.8t i was wondering what engine id do i have is it aph?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mines a 5 speed got a k04 turbo in it atm im taking the engine apart to rebuild it, since the person that had it before me didnt take care of it so it had bad piston rings and a bad turbo. since i got a k04 on it now i was wondering where can i get a chip for my ecu so i can put bigger injectors and a 4 bar fuel regulator

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
You need to figure out what software you want...many different companies. APR, Revo, Unitronic...then you can go to their website and find their local dealers.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
wich one would you guys prefer and wich one is the cheapest
REVO has pretty good deals on the regular Stage 1 Tune right now ($399), however you will need a custom tune since you don't have the stock Turbo anymore and if you add different injectors and a 4 bar you definitely need a custom tune so that will be a bit pricier than a standard tune. Is putting on the K04 Turbo a simple bolt on mod or are their any special items that are needed to make the swap?
Also, I would recommend a larger intercooler to go with that larger turbo.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he turbo is direct bolt on i just had to put a cold air intake on it.. i guess im going to just take it to a nearby shop and have them tune it on a dyno

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
he turbo is direct bolt on i just had to put a cold air intake on it.. i guess im going to just take it to a nearby shop and have them tune it on a dyno
Easier said than done. Make sure the local shop has experience with VW. To my knowledge the only ones that can direct tune the APH engine ECU is REVO. Reason is that the 2000 Beetle ECU came with a very small Eprom chip. Only 512k memory. All the later models 2001+ had 1024k chips. So in order for most other companies to tune your car they will have to install a physical chip onto the stock ECU in order to take the programming. Revo is the only one that could programm the Stage 1 onto my ECU without a chip.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah this shop is real good with vw they have a guy that just tunes theyr vw's he told me that he can solder a chip on there and put a street tune on it for 500$

1 - 9 of 9 Posts