VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ladies and Gents.

For the last 2 weeks I have been fighting against the hot temp on our Beetle. Here in FL the temperature are begin to raise and the Beetle temp as well. To make long story short here is what I have done:

1. Replaced thermostat :)
2. Replaced radiator fan switch :)
3. Replaced temperature sensor :)
4. I've tested the fan circuitry to be sure that the fans kicks on low and hi speeds. :)
5. The fans kicks when A/C is on :)

One of the problems is that when temp raise the fan didn't kick on. Even with engine temp over 200 degrees.

Searching on Internet found that I've supposed to have coolant coming to reservoir hose (the one in reserv top) in constant flow. I don't have it. :confused:

So I began to trace this hose. It's connected to the throttle body and from TB to the engine block. I unplug the hose from the engine block and blow air inside the hose and notice that it has continuity to the reservoir thru the TB. BUT, when I saw the nipple in the engine block I noticed that is completely clogged. :D GREAT!!

I tried to remove all debris the best I could from the nipple using a tiny screwdriver, then put some air with my air compressor. After all this theres not coolant coming from the nipple. When I try to place the tiny screwdriver inside the nipple I hit something inside. I have no clue if this is normal or not. :confused:

Any suggestions on how I can unclogged the freaking nipple?:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
My first thoughts: are that you have air in cooling system; that is why the fans are not coming on and it is possible, that your waterpump is bad or you have a blockage in the cooling return line (or a combination of those problems). If you have a blockage in the return line; it will be hard to get air out of the cooling system.

When you removed the thermostat; did you check the water pump impeller, to make sure it doesn't spin or isn't cracked or move?

These videos; should help understand what to check and how things work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln4grYe3WnE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcoT1oFr74g

If you end up needing a waterpump; check out these guys, for a high quality oem waterpump/timing belt kit: www.blauparts.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Billy thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that Ive checked the water pump impeller and it was in excellent condition. Using a thin screw Ive uncloaged the nipple. Now I have a constant flow to the reservoir. I tested the car and the fans kicked in hi speed when the engine reached the 250 degrees. Sometimes them kicked randomly. It make sense what you said about air in the cooling system. Im gonna flush the cooling system, then fresh new G12 coolant. Now will be easier to remove the air from system cause the return is working beautiful.

Thanks for the hints. :)
Jungo

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Good! A clogged return line; will definitely cause problems and make getting air out of the system, hard to accomplish. For the correct coolant; you could get genuine VW coolant at your local VW dealer or go with Pentosin SF (G12+), which is available at most auto parts stores. Also, be sure to thoroughly flush out your cooling system and use distilled water (not water from your house/garden hose), to dilute the coolant @ 50/50 ratios.

pentosin SF G12+: part #: 8114107

Pentosin - Antifreeze

You can look up the correct parts and coolant; for your car here: (look under: "functional fluid, lubricant and grease):

ShowMeTheParts - Automotive Aftermarket Electronic Catalog

https://www.google.com/search?q=pen...rome..69i57.5120j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

By the way; what was clogging the return line?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Past owner was using water instead of proper VW coolant. Ill post a pic of this disaster. It was a orange color mud and deep inside was solid as a rock. Using a thin screw finally I can remove the obstruction.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Yeah, it is possible; g12 vw coolant and typical green coolant; got mixed up. I worked on a Jetta; that got mixed up, contaminated the system and it created all kinds of problems, brown sludge. It was a mess and I used; dishwashing liquid and hose pipe cleaners, to remove the sludge from the top areas/hoses of the cooling system.

9 Pc Tube/Pipe Nylon Brush Set
Item#90631

https://www.google.com/search?q=hos...ourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=pipe+brush+cleaners

It took; allot of work, to flush and scrub, as much junk as I could, out of the cooling system, did it three times, until the flushed water ran clear. After filling with fresh g12+ coolant and distilled water 50/50 mix; a new water pump and thermostat, everything worked ok.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
coolant

Correct, previous owner probably mix in that orange stuff used in ford vehicles, it don't mix too well with the VW pink stuff.

·
Registered
758 Posts
If the previous owner was using tap water without any coolant, it's likely the car was overheating on a regular basis which would cause minerals from the tap water to be deposited inside the engine. This is not good for thermal transfer or for coolant circulation.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
coolant

actually I believe pure water is better than mix anti-freeze stuff for cooling your engine (just don't use tap water) The anti-freeze is better for during the winter. 50/50 mix is usually the way to go for proper engine operating temperature.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Im not 100% sure but i had the same issue and turned out to be the water pump.. the hose you mention op i had as well and i believe its only air thats supposed to either relieve pressure in the coolant res. Or provide pressure to it. Someone with a man. Can prolly figure it out..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
758 Posts
actually I believe pure water is better than mix anti-freeze stuff for cooling your engine (just don't use tap water) The anti-freeze is better for during the winter. 50/50 mix is usually the way to go for proper engine operating temperature.
Distilled water won't leave mineral deposits in your engine, but you can still get localized boiling inside your engine (i.e. in the cooling jackets around the extremely hot cylinders), especially in a "modern" liquid cooled engine which is designed to run almost at the boiling temperature of water.

The danger is that with a used car, if the previous owner was lazy enough to never get the cooling system properly fixed, chances are they were too lazy to buy distilled water. If the water they used came from a well that has a high mineral content, the localized boiling inside the cooling system will leave mineral deposits inside the engine.

Mineral deposits inside a cooling system will impede cooling. This is not a good thing!

·
:)
837 Posts
Distilled water always.

50 coolant - 50 water for summer
70 coolant - 30 water for winter

PO for mine had mixed green in with the g12. Caught it early on enough when I was replacing the radiator hoses to flush and replace. I think an orange-pink combo is probably the worst to cleanup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts