VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - On a 2002 Beetle what is the correct orientation for the low and high beams? The Bentley manual shows the low beam on the bottom and the high beam on the top (in the projector) of the headlight but I've seen two sets of headlights now (aftermarket) where the low beams were wired to the top and the high beams on the bottom. Trying to figure out if the aftermarket just had them wired backwards or the Bentley manual has them listed incorrectly.

See attachments for reference.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I hadn't noticed it before, but the Bentley manual does look incorrect. The low beam is in the projector, the high beam is the bulb you can see inside the reflector looking into the headlight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. That's what I've been wondering because the 07/2005 and up listed in the Bentley manual right after this have it listed as low on the top and high on the bottom.

The only reason this even came in to question was because I had such poor light output after putting on new aftermarket replacements. The low beams in the projectors seemed like high beams spreading the light out high and wide and the high beams using the reflector bottom seemed like low beams where there was more of a focused light out front. I think the actual issue is the lights I got were just manufactured really poorly and doesn't focus the light as it should. Looking at another aftermarket set (actually cheaper set) the light output looks good on those so I'll just order a set of those.

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Did you get the ones off eBay from 1A auto? I did and sort of regret it. I had one bulb retainer half break on me upon installation. Also I put in Osram Nightbreakers but was still disappointed with the high beams. The low beams are fine but the high beams have about the same distance with simply a different light pattern.

My solution was going to be to buy some Hella 100W bulbs for the high beam. I’ll leave the low beams as street legal Osram’s but I’ve gotta get more high beam.

I’m just worried about frying the harness at the lights since it seems standard bulbs will fry the wiring over time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got them off of Amazon. I'm sure most of them are manufactured by the same place but visually I did see two differences between the aftermarket set I have and the ones I compared them to that look good. The ones I have use a hex bit for the adjustment and have a chrome color on the outside of the house behind the lens where they clip. The other aftermarket set (good) have a torx bit for adjustment and a black color instead of chrome on the outside.

What you mentioned about the bulb retaining clips breaking though I had that same issue with the ones i have so they very well could be the same as what A1 sells.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts