VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2003 Cyber Green 2.0
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my '03 Beetle (2.0L) for just 2.5 months and ran into some issues. In the past 2 days, the A/C has been blowing out hot air. Just when I parked it yesterday, the solid red coolant light came on. The coolant was getting close to the "low" line so I topped it up. Started it back up (coolant light went off), drove for 6km or so and the coolant light started flashing red. Pulled over immediately and got it towed to my mechanic. Any idea what the problem might be in your experiences?

I'm thinking maybe the fuse for the radiator fan, or the radiator fan itself is gone?
Luckily I have an indy shop I trust, but just to get an idea, how much should I be paying for a fix?

And if my luck couldn't get any worse. The tow truck driver broke my oil pan along the way to the shop. At least I'm getting a replacement on them.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
coolant

Had my '03 Beetle (2.0L) for just 2.5 months and ran into some issues. In the past 2 days, the A/C has been blowing out hot air. Just when I parked it yesterday, the solid red coolant light came on. The coolant was getting close to the "low" line so I topped it up. Started it back up (coolant light went off), drove for 6km or so and the coolant light started flashing red. Pulled over immediately and got it towed to my mechanic. Any idea what the problem might be in your experiences?

I'm thinking maybe the fuse for the radiator fan, or the radiator fan itself is gone?
Luckily I have an indy shop I trust, but just to get an idea, how much should I be paying for a fix?

And if my luck couldn't get any worse. The tow truck driver broke my oil pan along the way to the shop. At least I'm getting a replacement on them.
Temperature light flashing means low on coolant at the reservoir. I would guess your electric fans are probably bad and need replacing that's why your A/C stopped working also.
Sorry can't give ya an estimate on repair cost I have always done my own, thankfully.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,414 Posts

·
2003 Cyber Green 2.0
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. It was a burnt out fuse and wires; radiator fans and thermostat are intact. Getting the entire fuse box replaced and I'm on my way. Cost me $250 CAD installed, including diagnostic time.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
burned wires

Thanks for the help everyone. It was a burnt out fuse and wires; radiator fans and thermostat are intact. Getting the entire fuse box replaced and I'm on my way. Cost me $250 CAD installed, including diagnostic time.
FYI;

Hate to give ya bad news but the problem might come back in a couple months since you need to find out what parts actually cause the fuses to burn in the first place. Common issue is the radiator fans and or the A/C compressor pulling too much current or the fans control module. Something is pulling too much current. I had a similar issue last year and it wind up being the radiator fans dragging and causing the A/C compressor working too hard also, the same fuse kept melting up until I repaired the fans and replaced the A/C system.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,414 Posts
Also, a burnt fuse won't lead to leaking coolant. I would be on the lookout for a leak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts